Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matthothand

Salmon run

65 posts in this topic

Somebody is going to have to tap me on the shoulder this year when they show up...I won't have a day off for the next few weeks and won't have any time to be checking rivers. I'm sure someone will chime in with reports of fish in the next week or so.

I won't even bother looking unless we get some good rain. There isn't more than a trickle in any of the streams right now, but you should be able to get a pink or two in the lake anytime now. South shore streams are just as bad, except for the brule that rarely dips below 100 cfps. (although it is low and clear compared to normal levels)

Matt, let me know when i can get that looper stuff back to you. i've still got it collectin dust.

salmon need legs to get up the rivers this year.

I dont think you will be missing much. They are coming to some what of an end. Yes we need a lot of rain.

I've done stream salmon run fishing elsewhere and had a blast. I've never done it on the North Shore. What are the typical dates for the runs there?

September 22,1991

Smart Bass - was that the 13# King on a J-Plug?

All the rivers up here are blown wide open, and there is actually water flowing out into the lake! Won't be long now grin.gif

sweet, two half pint kings in the french.

went down to the lester at around 5. Didnt even see a fish in the river. It is very low. I tried throwing some spoons all along the shore and nada.

we realy need some rain.

Chadwick get down to Brighton Beach early and late and toss some spoons. You will hook something. Change colors and fan cast all over. If you dont hook up in a half our try another rock. They are always in there this time of year.

Cleos and crocks in gold/orange, silver/blue or green and chart/orange are my favs.

deathroe, shoot me an e-mail at matt9er02zulu@hotmail.com or gimme a call (2184288015) when you can. I forgot about it for a while but got to thinking about it a week or so ago. I don't have your e-mail anymore though. I can swing by and pick it up wherever and whenever would work for you. Thanks!

As far as the salmon go. I know of two waters on the south shore (not counting brule) that have fish in them. That's about it though less than ten spotted in each. Should be more by the weekend so I'm probably gonna go stick a few on sunday...gotta work out on the lake friday and saturday. Too much going on right now! ...deer, turkey, lake trout, salmon...

Im going to be out fishing in Two Harbors in the boat this weekend if its not too windy. Will the salmon in the lake be close too shore staging near river mouths right now? I cant believe the big runs have started yet. Im trying to add some salmon to the catch along with the lakers.

this may sound like a stupid question, but is brighton beach that rocky shoreline just past the lester river that the little road follows?

Not a stupid question and you are correct.

Cascade River report: spent a couple of hours fishing, no fish seen or caught. Casted out into the lake, nothing.

Same goes for Devil Track. It might be too early...

I checked all the rivers from here to two harbors, and only saw fish in one. The Talamadge didnt even have a trickle running through it.

While on the subject, why are there so many no tresspassing signs there. Id almost put money on it that there is a meth lab back in those woods beacuse of all those "posted" signs...

Hey Fishstalker - how do you access the devil track? where do you park and walk in at? I had looked around a little bit by the highway (61) once before when I was up that way and found nothing but no trespassing signs and no place to park.

You can e-mail me or anyone else willing to help out: myemail.jpg

has any thing heard any word on the south shore rivers?

I wouldn't waste my time on the South shore unless you're at the Brule. The pike should have a bunch of fish in now, only about 3 dark kings earlier this week, only spotted a couple splake. Also, the water is lower than ever. I've not spotted anything else in the others.

Can't beleave a word that comes out of that guys mouth. grin.gif

It IS tough catfish......you just never know! grin.gif

south shore...man the water is low and clear...I thought last year was bad. I've noticed a lot of stretches have silted in and are shallower than last year. Need a good rain to flush them out. A few fish around but conditions arent the best.

I was going to head out to the south shore...to the Voight, but I now have a deer to take care of in the morning. If only I didn't do my homework and capitalize on my perfect stand placement I'd be out ripping lips! Instead I'll be elbows deep in veni! They should offset bow opener and the weak salmon run...and grouse and fall turkey season so I don't have to pick and choose! Hopefully I don't shoot a booner next weekend and I can chase some fish...I've got a few tied up tongue.gif