• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

High RPM's..low speed???

HutchBucks

Question

Took daughter out tubing on Monday...after we were done thought I'd open it up across the lake. Ran very high rpm's(up to 7 grand,usually warning beeper goes off at about 6200-6300,never went off) and couldn't seem to get much for speed(only 25-30mph, usually can get 40-45mph).

This is on a 2005 115 Merc OptiMax...What could cause this to happen? Spun hub in prop? Maybe something else? Also, how do you check to see if prop is spun? confused.gif

6 answers to this question

sounds like a spun hub...

If you have a spare prop, put it on and see if it happens as well. If it does, it's not a prop issue. If it does not, I think your problem will be found.

Steve

Your motor should have the new plastic hub system so I doubt that it is the hub. If it is an older rubber hub prop, maybe. Maybe weeds or something else wrapped up on the prop?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I believe theres you have a choice of a solid hub or the conventional pressed rubber.

If your sure the outboard wasn't trimmed to high, or had weeds or grass on the prop of around the cavitation plate, then take the prop off and have it looked at.