Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wallyhunter66

weekend report! crappies crappies crappies!!!!!!!

10 posts in this topic

was on a local lake fishing for walleyes, we caught 1 15 incher and that was about it. Well since the walleyes werent cooperating we decided to try our hand at the crappies. Wow the crappies were going crazy, 3 days fishing a we could have kept as many as we wanted! there were even a few in 1.5 pound range the rest were nice size for the fry pan we kept enough for a meal and the rest went back to get bigger. they seemed to be anywhere from 5 to 15 feet deep and bit everything, plastics, leeches, minnows didnt seem to matter. so if your looking for a tasty meal of panfish, head to your local crappie lake and eat well!!! I also wanted to say hi to the guy in the crestlinr that said hi to us. its nice to see a few othe FMs not afraid to say hi out on the lake!

I spent Monday morning on Madison, in the fog. As you said; Crappies, Crappies, Crappies. No Walleyes. All I could think was WOW just like Upper Red Lake! Only thing is, no netting. What give? Maybe to many people only eat Walleyes?

Your right the number are great but Red still has the size going for it. Red may not have the 16 plus crappies anymore but you can still get the 13-15 fairly frequently.

I would hope one day that the area lakes will have the size that Red has. I have caught some dandy's off washington and also a few from Madison but just not as common as the big Red machine.

wallyhunter66, where might we be speaking of? crazy.gif

well, FLK. if ya wanna go, all ya gotta do is ask? you know id be willing to share my boat with you any time!!! if ya just wanna know where ill give ya a call! wink.gif

No, not just like URL but it's still fun down here too. That's why I always do both. grin.gif It's tough to compare anything to that body of water. The experience and quality of fish is second to none up there.

I agree Otter, anywhere you can catch fish non stop is always alot fun and its nice if its not a 4-5 hour drive. Sometimes its also nice to get into some bigger pigs also.

I think you missed the point.

The Crappies are filling in the void that the Walleye would be filling, if they were there in good numbers! Like what happend to URL a few years back. blush.gif

You may be right Muddog.

Oh, I see what direction you were heading. I did miss it the first time around. grin.gif

The 'eyes are much shallower than the crappies. smirk.gif