Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ginner26

BWCA Trout

6 posts in this topic

Heading up to the BWCA for a Gunflint loop of Caribou, Pine, West Pike, and Clearwater lakes on September 19th. We're thinking of trying for some lake trout on the trip but we're all walleye anglers so we need some help. Is it worth the effort on these lakes and what type of rigging would you recommend?

I've also just recently dipped my toe into the world of fly-fishing. Any stimulating reasons to bring up my rod to the BWCA?

If you look back in the posts, I posted a similar question and the responses were very helpful to me, for technique and gear suggestions.

I fished with a guide a couple years ago. We did real well with spinners tipped with fatheads[dead ones]. Basically you get a small spinner blade in front of a single hook with about 1.5" stinger trebel hook. Use about a 2-3' leader with a swivel. Above the swivel, use a bullet wieght to get the bait down. Expariment with deffereint sized wieghts untill you find the right depth. Also spoons and cranks can work too.

I have fished those lakes for trout and the numbers are there. Clearwater and Pine hold some big ones. West Pike has good numbers of nice sized fish. Most the fish we have caught there have been 3-5 pounds. I am not as familar with Caribou lake. I don't think it has trout.

Through the end of May/early June the trout are near the top and can be caught trolling spoons near the surface just about anywhere on the lake, from over the relatively shallow water column, to over the deepest holes in the lake.

Around the 19th of September, the trout could be relatively deep near their spawning reefs that top off in 30-40' of water, but that would just be my best guess. I would start by locating some of those areas with your maps and sonar. They you could try something to get at suspended fish. The fish that you might find close to the bottom may be willing to hit jigs with white plastic and/or tipped with some minnow meat. We used to also use the Dr. Juice scent on our jigs which really seemed to help. I wonder if that stuff is even made anymore.

I don't know when the bass season closes, but if it is open when you are there you could find some great action on West Pike and Pine. Clearwater has a lot of bass, but most are really small.

Pine can be great for Walleye, but for me they have been only hit or miss after the first part of August on that lake.

Another thing to consider would be to take a side trip into the smaller brook trout lakes off of Pine and West Pike. They might be going pretty good when you are there.

I can give you some more specific information if you want me to email you.

Caribou has some walleye and a decent number of northerns. However, I have never fished it that late in the year. I would think casting/jigging at the falls if it has a good flow may be a good way to kill an evening. There are a few points/reefs that could be inspected as well.

Early Riser-shoot me an email on those brookie lakes if you see fit and we can compare notes on lakers as well. dschaap@stilwaterfunding.com

Thanks very much for the great information. Early Riser, shoot me an email at jeremy.ginter@collins.com. I'd love to get more info on the side lakes off of Pine and West Pike. Thanks.