• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone have any luck for 'eyes on the WFC this past weekend? I tried Cross twice and only got several pike,

bass and a bullhead. Was using lindys w/ redtails. Tried a few different areas. Is there a secret to fishing any of the sunken islands? I always stop and try at least once per outing and it seems there a lot less fish out there, than nearer the shoreline.

Thanks

no good here......tried cross only and on saturday morn tried some of the flats and they seemed to have sunnies on them.

I'll be camping at cross lake on the 14th - 16th, was eyeing big trout the first day and whitefish the 2nd. I'll be mostly targeting bass and pike, but the idea of a bonus laker is what's drawing me to big trout, any chance of catching 1 or 2 or 10? What are the general lures/colors and presentations for bass and pike that time of year?

wish I could help ya on that but the few times I have been in Big Trout I can't remeber seeing anyone fishing!!! I tried for 5 minutes but no luck...real steep drops and deep lake....120+ft in spots.....good luck let us know how it goes

I have never heard of anyone catching lake trout outside of ice fishing. I am sure they are there but would probably require a downrigger and deep water set-up. I have caught a few finding them suspended in winter time, but again over 11 years of trying 1-3 times a year less than 10 trouts. I personally cannot remember ever seeing anyone with a deep trolling out fit on the lake either.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I used to have a pontoon with downriggers on it. I would occasionaly fish lakers on trout. And we caught some nice fish. The cool thing is that you never know what your going to catch. We would get pig walleyes, Pike and Lakers all on the same line. I think the biggest laker we caught was around ten or eleven pounds.

I also remember fishing on Trout for the walleye opener a few years ago. I was fishing with a slip bobber and a leech in 18' of water. I caught a dandy 12 lb. laker.

Bigsmitty,

How'd the riggers work on the pontoon? We have a cabin on a trout lake up north and I've thought about doing the same thing but I'd never seen it done. Thanks for any tips in advance!

The downriggers worked great. What I did was mount them on a 2x8 Plank. Then I would set it across the back of pontoon and strap it down with a couple of rachet straps. This way I could take them on and off easy.