Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim W

Organize?

8 posts in this topic

Just wondering what FM is planning on doing, organizing groups, ie. clean up assistance etc etc for the flooded areas in SE MN?

A LOT of folks on here have walked the banks of many streams affected by the floods......

I'd be willing to help.....

Jim W

If your interested in helping out, please just drop a simple post here. I'd certainly be willing to help put something together.

How would Sunday Sept 16th work? Afternoon - ?

One way to help would be to join our local Hiawatha Trout Unlimited Chapter. They do an incredible amount of streamside work and I know that extra dollars and extra workers would come in very handy for them. I got an email from Randy earlier today saying that they were doing some streamside work tonight. Randy, maybe you could chime in and let people know how they can help.

Thanks Nate.

It'd be great if a group of FM'ers could get together to help out in Rushford...they're still working on cleaning up an incredible mess. Organized help, groups and individuals, needs to coordinate with the folks who are leading the effort down there, and the best way to do that is through the United Way of Olmsted County. Their website is http://www.uwolmsted.com. My wife and I are hoping to do this yet this month.

As far as TU goes, we're doing what we can to repair some of the streams that took a hit. Thankfully there wasn't any major damage done to any of the streams with improvement projects done...they did what they were supposed to do and did it well. It's amazing what happens when a stream is re-connected with its flood plain and banks are stabilized. A lot less streambank and farmland is sent down to the Gulf when highly eroded banks are repaired and the riparian is returned to a more natural state, but there's still much work to be done.

There is maintenance to be done yet, and we're trying to do it while the days are still warm and there's sunlight into the evening.

I could be wrong, but I think Rushford might be inundated with "help". In the restaurant I have met many different groups, some from across the country, that have come to help out.

I was down there a week and a half ago. Yes lot's to be done with the town, but even then most homes and businesses had been gutted and garbage piled.

You'd definitely need to contact those groups (Red Cross, United Way etc) already in place utilizing a project plan.

I was referring more to assisting the DNR and/or other groups in stream clean up etc. Simply getting things into workable fashion.

Thoughts?

There are plenty helping down there, but from what I've heard directly from residents, I don't think they're "inundated". That would mean they have all the help they need and more.

As far as stream work goes, I'd say check with Steve Klotz at the DNR to see if they'd like a crew somewhere to help. Places like the SBWW will only benefit from heavy machinery, but there are definitely places that could use some minor handi-work.

Your right, thanks for the correction. Not a great choice in words.

I simply don't want suffering added to. Gaukers, rubber knecking etc. That was my intentions.

When I was down there, at least in the shelters, it appeared as though there were more helpers than need.

What spurred the orginal post was in fact a conversation with Steve.

From his reports, and this is NOT a quote, there is a lot more work needed than just in Whitewater.

So as Randy mentioned, tying in to clear direction from the DNR is sound judgement.

Jim

The clean-up's been organized!

Hope to see you this weekend.

I'll be there Sunday morning.

Please see this post for more info...