• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Questions for trailer experts?

chris63

Question

I've completed my trailer rebuild.It's a 92 shorelander 14/16 foot boat trailer.It has three rollers/new bunks.New lights/harness.New Timkin bearings/races.New tires with repainted rims/hubs.Blasted the whole thing and primed/repainted.The thing I'm not sure about is setting up the rear and middle rollers.I have a Yamaha 20 horse.I picked up a transom saver bar that rides on the back roller.Are the rollers supposed to touch the keel all the time or only when loading.I'm pretty sure they only helped guild the boat on the trailer when loading.I'm leaving for canada this friday so I want to make sure I'm adjusted right.Any comments will be appreciated.Thankyou in advance.c63

3 answers to this question

The rollers on my boat are always in contact with the hull. Remember the fewer points of contact that you have on the hull means that more weight is being placed on them. More contact means less weight per point.

IF the boat is sitting on bunks then I do not beleive that it will rest on the roller. Mine has a roller in the rear center to raise the bow when the boat goes onto the trailer but once the boat is all the way on the roller is not in use only the bunks are. Have a good one././Jimbo

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There so many variables between boats hulls and trailers that there isn't one right answer. Heres what I do.

If possible the rear roller should be positioned directly under the transom. Do that by moving the wench stanchion(sp) forward or back. That would be the strongest part of the hull. If your able to do that adjust the roller height so theres a considerable amount of weight on the roller. The bunks should have enough weight so that it just cradles the hull.

If you can't get the roller under the transom or the keel stops short of the transom then you don't want much weight on it. Too much weight at that point will put a hook between the keel and transom.

Now you might have this fine tuned on the trailer but find when you load the boat things do go right.