Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Whoaru99

1997 Dodge pickup - anything particular to watch out for?

Whoaru99

A buddy of mine is looking at a 97 Dodge pickup and asked me about it. I dunno a thing about Dodge trucks so I figured I'd ask here.

Again, it's a 97, think he said 135K miles on it, has a 318 engine, auto tranny, and 4wd.

He has an 17ft Alumacraft (Tournament Pro??) that he'll be pulling with it, if it matters....

Anything to be especially on the lookout for?

river-rat4

I just traded a '97 1500 Ram (2/07). Liked the truck. At 142,xxx I put in a rebuilt engine. At 184,xxx 2nd gear was going out/slipping. (Bought the unit at 80,xxx miles and was not used as a plow truck)I used the truck harder than the average homeowner, pulling a 4200 lb trailer 2-3 days a week.

I had the 360 or 5.9 magmun with 377 gears 4wd/auto.(can't give any info on the 318).

Tade in value I received was $2700. Had Std cab, air, matching topper, pw/pl, cloth seats.

I went with a new Ram if that means anything.

Black_Bay

We have late 90's Dodges at work and we've gone through a few transmissions. Have your buddy check out the front end really well also.

PierBridge

Quote:

we've gone through a few transmissions.

Plan on replacing the Transmission.

Shack

Crapped shoot?

That year of truck was not known for "problem free" miles.

Like stated above, check out front for ball joints and steering linkage, tranny's were weak and oem rebuild with updated and reman unit with updates still had problems, motors were as good as the previous owner took care of them, rear ends were weak, a/c evap coil's leaks (check for dye leaking out of drain tune under pass. side floor board/fire wall).

I hate to say it, unless I was getting truck for next to nothing, I would pass and sleep good at night. The truck is kind of a time bomb. Now, not to knock Dodge, but those years were some doosies. Dodge now a days is a total different story.

Good Luck!!!

2dog

We have quite a few late 90's Dodges and have replaced to many transmissions.

Whoaru99

Thanks for the replies fellas. Now, hopefully I can get ahold of him in time...

Valv

If he has to rebuild the transmission there is a place in IA that is the best rebuilder period. They do Dodge transmissions only (mainly for diesels) and they are super, I had one and I can vouch for it, and it will be cheaper then the dealer

Whoaru99

Nope, he won't need to rebuild it - someone else might, but not him.

Since I couldn't get ahold of him by phone, I printed the thread and put it under his wiper blade with a note to call me. He sounded pretty bummed when he called a couple hours ago after reading the posts. He thought he was getting a good deal at a few hundred under book, but I politely suggested that it wasn't anywhere near a good enough deal for the risk it seems to present.

He got a chuckle out of the comment about passing on the truck to sleep better at night. I think he got the message...

Thanks again to all.

Shack

Unless its a cheap unpassable deal, I would not buy truck!

Good for your friend. There are to many other good brands of trucks from those years and in your friends price range to choose from. He might get lucky with this one, but the chances are very, very slim.

Valv

Now, if this was a T. Diesel Cummins it won't be a problem, BUY IT, they are worth every penny, you know that..... grin.gif

zamboni

My dad just got rid of his 95 F150 4X4 with 180,000+ miles on it. Never stuck a penny into it other than gas, oil changes and tires. AC even froze you out. He got $4500 for it. I have heard alot about replacing engines and trannys in Dodges- I would avoid one.

Whoaru99

Yeah, he's a Ford guy at heart, but thought he was getting a deal on the Dodge. After the input here, he's no longer considering it and is back to looking for a Ford.

I, on the other hand, am a Chevy/GM guy...

Shack

Not trying to steer anyone one way or another, but Ford was in some "worry free miles" glory days in those years. The old guys swore by them and drove them till they died. I would lean twords ford, but no matter what your friend ends up buying, have him get it checked out. $2000-$12,000! It does not matter, they can have avoidable costly repairs looming, that a tech could locate in a quick multi point inspection.

Ya, again, it helps one sleep better at night! wink.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• cookie129
      My no snow slow snow dance started off as rain? Guess I made a mistake and did a rain dance. Cleaning off the trucks last night I would say we got 3 inches far less then they predicted 9 to 11. The winds picked up last night and are howling right now. The snow was wet and heavy to start so I'm hoping its not blow in my landing to bad.
       Barny from Kellier is coming up today to do a little welding for us before we pull the house's off the shore line. Montana needs a hook re welded and the metal grade step repaired, Florida also need some work on the step.
       I got the radiator ordered for white Lightning aka Cheyanne. I'm hoping it arrives before Saturday and I can get Devon to install it while there here. We also have a lite bar for blue thunder that Devon gave me this summer. I noticed the wipers quit working on the red baron and we will have to check that out as there kinda important out there on the lake.
       Josh from Annandale is running a snowbear out there this year. He has a helper Travis that was out there yesterday guiding some customers. I talk to him briefly before the rain and snow started and he landed a 16 incher while I was talking to him, kinda curious how he did after that.
       I expect quite a few rentals will be working there way out on the lake starting Wednesday, my plans are to check my area one more time before I make the move onto the lake. I'm hoping to find 14 inches of ice the whole route so will see how that goes.
       I'm sure Buddy Hillmen will start dragging his road this morning if there's good visibility. He like to get that snow off asap to make the ice thicker on the road. Plus with a good wind a lot of it catches the air and its much less plowing.
       I know I have said it many times but it is one heck of a road and he takes a tremendous amount of pride in building it. Its a lot of work, a lot of ware and tare on the trucks, but I also enjoy being part of his operation.
       Crazy but I have heard and saw pics of a few. " More then 3" elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies this  year. Deb and Jim did not fair to well sunday fishing. I think it was there first time on red lake. They did manage to get two in the time they fished and also missed a couple. They came off the lake before dark to be on the safe side.
       If you decide to come fish upper red lake in the near future please check in with the access resorts. With the snow cover they will have information Of any areas to avoid since they have all been checking condition daily. Remember common sense and if it does not look right it is probably not. Do not try and go to saved waypoints un tell we have weeks of ice making temps. Its just a fish. There's plenty of fishable ice that's average 10 inches. And the last Thing is remember as the old timer Dave told me" ITS A GRAND LAKE AND IT OWES US NOTHING!, NOTHING! City: waskish
      Remote Name: 209.191.208.74
      Date: 03/11/2003
      Time: 11:30:31 AM Upper_Red_Lake To all fishermen, If you spend 1/2 hour reading the past reports on here you should have all the knowledge you need to find those elusive crappies. Come and enjoy the lake , give every one plenty of room, Please bring your garbage home. Who ever left the 12 pack of empty bud cans I picked them up for you. Where do you think this garbage goes?I will tell you it ends up on the bottom of the lake or on shore so please take it home with you.This lake is pristine lets all keep it that way. THANKS COOKIE
    • leech~~
      I remember that video, pretty darn cool! 
    • leech~~
      Man you can really see the standards of this site of have dropped.  A few years ago we were talking over $80-$100 Thorne Brothers Custom made Ice Rods.  Now a $9.99 dollar rod is the talk for the forum!  We need to bring back the Rich folks!
    • slammer
      I think we should start a Go fund me for Cropduster to take his plane up and give us some pics. lol  He did it a few years ago but not lately.  Its pretty cool veiws from above when ice is forming.  I wonder if he is still lurking around here?
    • EyeChsr
      was out tonight, 6-8 in out from the dnr landing. wheelers and a couple perms out. still open water out in front of Peters resort on the south shore. It starts out a couple hundred yards from shore and runs to the north- northwest for a long ways. some of the spots that were open earlier this week have skimmed, be careful out there if you see different looking ice stop and check!!
    • JIvers
      Thanks for the report--about what I figured, which is why I stayed down here in Iowa this weekend. I am fairly optimistic about getting on the ice in southeast or south central Minnesota next weekend; whether I am on a lake around Faribault or Waseca, or one of my old backwater haunts on the Mississippi remains to be seen. Maybe Clear Lake, Iowa. Whatever I do I will post my results.
    • JerkinLips
      9-11am was best time both days.
    • littlebear
      If you are willing to go a little further into Canada, I would recommend Hollinshead Resort, a few hours north of Thunder Bay.  The resort is the only one on the lake, and in June offers excellent Walleye Fishing, as well as some dandy Northern Pike.  It's somewhere you can drive to as well. 
    • monstermoose78
      Caught 20-23 gills and 6 crappies. Fun day on the 10 inches of ice. The whole lake was close to the same where I cut all the holes out and around
    • Wanderer
      I’m still seeing very random thicknesses all over.  In the past few days I’ve been from St. Cloud to Winnie and have seen vehicles on the ice and open water on the same lake. I’m in Little Falls.  Tonight I checked 2 lakes NW of town.  Both had people fishing.  One looked to be safe for wheeler travel and the other, very near it, still had an open lead and you could see the difference between the first sheet of ice and the second. I hope it doesn’t get covered with snow anytime soon so we can still tell where the changes are. Be safe. Bring floatation and picks.  And don’t drive yet! Ruh ro....