Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gator Slayer

another o/u question.

7 posts in this topic

I have a Ruger Red label, the label on the barrel states 12 gauge 3 inch chamber. I found out (by accident) a 3 1/2 inch round will fit in the chamber. The spent shell ejects fine too. blush.gif What do you think can I safely shoot 3 1/2's?

If the gun is chambered for 3 inch, I wouldnt put a 3.5 in the chamber and fire it. It may work but it is probably not safe.

If you really think you want to fire these shells, I would call Ruger and ask if it will be safe to do so.

I wouldn't shoot 3.5's at all. I would count your blessings nothing happened when you accidently fired the 3.5. Remember, there are specific reasons they label the barrel of every firearm as to what caliber, gauge, or length of shot shell they may fire. You could check with a gunsmith (I would recommend Bob Odenthal in Prior Lake) and see if the chamber can be enlarged to fire 3.5" shells.

Why ask questions you already know the answer to?

I was looking for other people's opinions/experiences. What's your point?

The point is the gun is built for 3" inch shells, not 3.5" inch shells. Give Ruger a call and see what they say. I wouldn't seek anyone's opinion other than the manufacturer. Other people's experiences on subjects such as this really don't matter, especially the opinions of people you don't know. If Joe Bloe internet guy did this and nothing happened it doesn't mean it's safe. All it will take is one shot to blow up your gun and possibly parts of you and Joe Bloe's opinion and experience won't mean much to you.

The pressure spike after that 3 1/2" round was shot will definitely do damage. There is enough space to fit a non-shot 3 1/2" But the uncrimped round will not open fully resulting in a pressure spike.

Count yourself lucky.