Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shamrock7

Fire Restrictions

15 posts in this topic

We were called out last night to check out a few campfire complaints and had the opportunity to talk to quite a few people. There is some confusion on the status of the fire ban. The ban is still in full force for Lake Vermilion. The use of charcoal is now OK as long as it is within 100' of a cabin or home. It is not allowed at a remote campsite. No open burning is allowed.

Ralph the knife had a little bonnie going on the sand beach.

Next thing I know, I see this weird shaped boat off in the distance trolling south in the narrows, there it was, the fire boat. What an awesome, helpful, needed watercraft that is. Things sweet looking

edit: after a discussion with Shamrock7 (I think) They quickly put out the bonnie.

It was a perfect night for a campfire. I will admit. A little chill in the air, nice and calm. You hate to have to tell people that they can't do it but.....

I was up at the lake this weekend and it rained hard for awhile today and also got a little saturday night. Any chance the fire ban will be lifted or relaxed a little bit anytime soon?

The problem is we are WAY short of what we need as far as the rain goes. We had a tenth of an inch today. And as soon as the sun comes out or the wind blows... Its gone. We need a few inches to relieve this drought. If anyone has the time, stop at the dam on the pike river. Its pretty impressive to see how low the water is. Stuff is showing up that hasn't been seen before...

We will see what the DNR comes up with tommorrow. I talked to one of the area guys today and he agreed that the restrictions were in need of clarification. But as Heartattack said, this little bit will not have any significant impact on the current situation. We need a week of nice steady rain to really end this.

Shamrock,

Is it still Ok to use a charcoal grill next to a cabin under close supervision?? Going to be headed up on Saturday for the week and wondering on how to plan for meals.

Thanks Tracey

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/fire/index.html is the link to the DNR site. At this time, it is ok to use charcoal as long as it is within 100' of a residence or cabin. To use charcoal at a campsite would be a violation of the ban. I would keep an eye on the DNR site as I think you may see some clarification in this mess. Not enough rain to have any real impact on the ban. With all the thunder and lightning yesterday and last night, we had a total of .2 in of rain. That will be gone by tommorrow afternoon when the lightning strikes get a chance to get going. Be careful out there.

We smelled smoke and watched a chopper and the water bomber(or whatever that big yellow thing was) making low passes over west end... head o lakes and wakemup. Was there a fire somewhere? Or rather, where was the fire?

there was a fire west of the landing in the woods with poor access. They called the yellow CL-215(waterbomber) because of the bad access. Not sure on total size of the fire.

Fire was 2 acres north of Sunset Lake. Suspect lighning but don't know for sure. I think they finished up the mop up phase at about noon today. Will probably be patrolled for a few days to guarantee that it is completely out. Pretty impressive show watching those CL-215's work.

Little over 2.5 inches of rain so far today and there is more rumblings out to the west. Lots of lightning At least 2 fires so far even with the rain but they won't go far with this much rain.

The rain came pretty heavy and hard so we had a lot of runoff.

Where were the fires Shamrock?

Cook had a trailer house fire, we had a small fire on Daisy Island and there were a couple others that I do not remember where they were.

We ended up with 4.7 inches here. Good news is that the fire ban is lifted as of noon today.

Here is the text: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/releases/index.html?id=1189182827

Unofficial but I heard 10 inches of rain at Bear Head State Park.