• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

need help!

catmaster1557

hunting a wheat field that the geese are using. Thing is both mornings they want nothing to do with decoys.Had 5 nice flocks come in and land all over the field but not in decoys. Tried setting up tody where they landed yesterday, and then today they land elsewhere. We have been setting up on the hills, but the geese don't seem to mind landing in the dips of the field. We have been putting out about 48 decoys, with 24 feeder shells, 6 motion shells and 18 full bodies. Need some ideas of how to set up tomorrow. Less decoys?? put out decoys and then sit elsewhere in the field???

First thing I would do in use less decoys. I would just try like a dozen, split into 2-3 groups depending on how many hunters you got! Where is this wheat field u guys hunting, I'm just being curious. All the fields I have around town haven't been touch sense last week. So I have been hitting the lakes in the area in the late morning and early afternoon with small success!

Over by St. George, I will be going every morning this week and will be flying solo every day if ya wanna tag along.

ya try less decoys. first morning we combined 7 ppls decoys up and had close to 400 decoys and only got 9 for the morning. next morning put out three and put ppl spread out through the field and got are limits. they would be cupping in and evrything but never commit to landing. so we figured spread out so at least some of us will get shots off and maybe push them into one another. just some experiance i had this weekend. hunted around glencoe

If the geese have been using the area and there's little competition, a small spread and minimal calling should be all you need. These early season birds are in some pretty solid patterns this time of year and if you can get where they want to be that is the most important thing.

Less dekes, small family clumps, and a few clucks and murmurs may be what it takes. As always paying very close attention to detail and imitating what live geese are doing are both good ways to ensure more geese in the red zone.

Atleast you are seeing geese. Talked to alot of guys not even seeing any in the NU area. I agree with some of the other posts. Less sometimes is more. I would try a major down sizing.

We had a situation a couple years ago alot like yours. We tried to down size, and that didn't work. So we set out several small family size groups as blockers. Each group was set 20 to 30 yds apart in a funnel shape towards the center of the field. We left an opening 100 yds or so wide for them to pass thru. Then set up 3 family group 75 to 80 yds up wind from the opening. We set the blinds right between the blocking funnel and the 3 family groups. It back fired on the first small flock that came into the field thou. they landed right in one of the blocking lines. We chased them out and the next 3 flocks followed one edge of the blockers right to the kill zone. That set up only worked that one time so far. And have tried it 3 or 4 other times.

That or get all your buddies together and set up half the field with decoys and set your blinds on the back side. Hint! Hint!

I and a buddy can come up with 10 to 12 dozen full bodies if you need some more shooters. lol!

Went out this mornin downsized to 14 decoys.

Seen prolly 80-100 geese. A few large flocks a few flocks of 10-15, and quite a few 3-5. Nothing landing in our field this morning, but in the field next to us.

I could always use some company, but I dunno I may try some lakes for a couple days until it cools down a bit.

By the way thanks for the tips.

I went solo this morning as well. Had a pretty good day. Had 3 come in, and none left. First triple in a couple years. Plus 1 had a little extra hanging from one leg! Dog got his first goose retrieves, and a little jewelery. Pretty cool.

I'm working days this week, but probably won't go out any afternoons until it cools down a little. Laying out in a blind when its near 90 degrees and dew points in the upper 60's doesn't sound like fun to me. Hopefully it will coll down some later in the week.

Hey congrats on the band! 3 for 3 I'd take that hunt any day. Sounds like it should start cooling down by thursday maybe friday, with lows in the upper 40's and highs in the mid 60's by the weekend.

yeah i would definately spread out the dekes in the family groups, also make sure your not casting a shadow if your using a layout blind. after blowing it a couple of times we chunked the blinds in the standing corn and nailed the next flock and would of had the next after that but we were packing up.

just a thought though

Daniel

I hunted in an uncut hay field 2day, It was... ummm... the worst idea I've ever had, we went through a whole can of skeeto spray between the 2 of us, I also broke my flag, from flagging so hard at the sworms! shocked.gif No birds on the ground. But it was still better than school. tongue.gif

Hey cat- me and a buddy of mine hunted one the fields that I have around St. George yesterday morning too, but only saw 15 up to 8:30 that morning and decided to move on. The wheat field we hunted yesterday was just east of town. I was going to say that if you need some company, I'd be more that happy to set up something to knock down some birds with ya. Tues and Wed. aren't really going to work but possibly Thursday or Friday. Sounds like its going to cool down this coming weekend which would be really nice. Let me know about what you want to do.

catmaster, have any luck this week? I have not gotten out this week, other that a couple real quick scouting runs. Have not seen much going on, but have not been able to spend alot of time at it. Hope to get out and check things out and spend more time out scouting tonight and tomorrow night.

Went out tuesday morning, saw nothing. Went out this morning one flock of about 30 landed in the neigboring field pretty early about 6:20-6:30. That was it.