Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nimstug

Stick-on Ruler

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I will be up in a couple of weeks to fish the west arm along with my son. Does anyone know if the local bait shops on either side of the border sell the stick on rulers indicating the Canadian slot limits?

Thanks in advance.

Nimstug

Nobody that I have seen has slot rulers for the canadian side. Rainy Lake One Stop has all kinds of slot stickers left, just remember that the slot on the Canadian side is one walleye between 13.9 and 18.1 inches.

Just a note, the long length for canada side of rainy is not 18.1 inches, it is 17.7 (they will ticket for the difference)Short end is 13.8 (A friend of ours got checked on the Vane Lake portage with a slimmer. 1/4 in outside and cost him over a $100 bucks. This is from the Ontario regs (the 2007 and 2006 regs remained the same with a few exceptions) here is the link. http://www.fishinontario.com/regs.html. for non-residents, it is one per day and if you have a sportsmans lic, total of 4 (but only after 4 days, don't have 4 after 3 days) also, you can have one over 27.5 inches (the rest need to be in the slot) only 2 total if you get a conservation lic.

We just got back from our second week on NW bay, eyes are starting to hit on minnows (and worms) and we picked up a 26 in, and a 22 in on cranks... casting for smallies.

If you pick up a slimmer (and i don't think you can help it) the slot is nothing between 27.5 and 35.4 inches and only 1 over the 35.4

sorry TL, the 18.1 is for locals... not non-res's

Bitz

HI GANG,

BITZ IS CORRECT, IF YOU ARE FISHING LAKES OUTSIDE OF RAINY, YOU MAY KEEP 2...1 OVER 18.1, AND 1 UNDER.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

WHAT IS IRONIC, IF YOU ASK SOME OF THE CANADIAN BAIT SHOPS, THEY INSIST AMERICANS CAN KEEP 4 FISH (NOT RAINY) THE REGS SAY 2.

to clarify,

If you have a sportsmans lic (non-res) you can keep 1 eye per day for a total of 4 eyes over 4 days.

If you have a conservation lic (non-res) you can keep 1 eye per day for a total of 2 eyes over 2 days.

so, if you want to take home 4 eyes, buy a sportsmans lic... if you want to take home 2 eyes, buy a conservation.

both only allow the taking of 1 eye per day... so if you eat your eye for lunch, you can take 1 per day for as long as you stay.

FM, you can keep 4 per trip as the bait shops say, if you buy the sportsman lic. This is from page 72 of the regs i gave the link to earlier.

Hope this helps.

Bitz

Yep, 17.7...sorry I was confusing it with the other area lakes like cuddle.

You are also allowed to have in your possesion limits caught at lakes other than Rainy. Example. If you catch one walleye in the AM on Rainy and then fish a lake like Cuttle/Mainville in the PM you can keep an additional 2 walleyes for a total of three for the day. You may not exceed a total of 4 fish for the sportsmans lic. of two fish for the conservation. The MNR only enforces the one fish limit for Rainy while you are on the water. I been checked many times while fishing the CA side and have been told by the CO's that that is how they do it. When we fish Rainy we call the slot at 14 to 17 inches. That keeps it legal without any questions.

Personal Comment: I think the one fish limit sucks. Off topic, but I never miss a chance to express my opinion on this issue.

Have you ever been on cuttle etc and then moved to rainy? I would worry going that direction they might not believe that the 2 were caught on the other lake. Just curious?

Bitz

Bitz,

I have never...ever fished cuddle or mainville and then moved to rainy, unless of course we weren't catching anything.

The daily limit for this district is 2 walleye. It does not matter how many lakes you visit. The limit is still two. I am sure you will receive a ticket or more than that for an over limit.

Two walleye per day and that includes any you have kept throughout the day. That would mean any fish you had for shore lunch too.

R_D

except rainy...then 1