Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
jwhawkridge

Feed before a hunt or after?

jwhawkridge    0
jwhawkridge

I have a quick question about feeding a hunting dog. Should I feed my dog (a year and half old lab) before I go out waterfowling or for pheasants? I know that you shouldn't push them hard with a bunch of food in them. I've been hunting for just a few years and had my lab out for the first time last year with a good meal and he was ok. Is it better to for them to have a full belly or wait until the hunt it over?

Any advice would be appreciated!

xedge2002    0
xedge2002

Wait until you are done hunting. I think if you feed them a lot before hand they can have some medical problems like twisted intestines.

2thepointsetters    51
2thepointsetters

I feed the dogs in the evening all year. That seems to be recommened often by vets

2 DA GILLS    0
2 DA GILLS

For those guys that feed morning and evening year round, what do you do?

I typically feed in the AM and PM and I have struggled with this especially when on hunting trips. Some days we hunt from sunrise until sunset. Easy to do when you do the duck / pheasant combo hunts. I can hardly wait until the hunting is complete to feed the dog. My strategy has always been to feed in small quantities at various times. If we know we are going to be driving for awhile or switching to ducks for the afternoon, I will feed him some food to boost the energy levels.

Are there better ways to deal with all day hunting situations? I do not want to be hurting my dog, but he needs the food for energy as well.

caseymcq    0
caseymcq

I feed my dogs before, during and after. The before meal is lighter than what they usually get. I also buy a tube of Natures Balance (it looks like a summer sausage). I cut chunks and give them a chunk from time to time during the day, not much though. Just a little something so they aren't running on fumes.

I also cary a bottle of water with me with the squirt cap so they can drink clean water while we are hunting. If we are walking a lot or they are swimming a lot and/or it is fairly hot I offer them water often.

That evening I usually give them a little something special like half of the usual amount of dog food with a can of green beans (split between the two of them) and/or tuna or egg. The green beans are to give them some good vegetables that are watery and then the tuna or egg for some protien. There breath isn't so fresh after the tuna though so if you are going to sleep in a tent with them like I do from time to time you may also want to bring a Greenie or something of that nature. grin.gif

Dahitman44    0
Dahitman44

I feed them about 1.5 hours before I go out in the am and them again in the evening. I try to give them time to digest their meal -- kinda like not going swimming on a full stomach.

uplander    0
uplander

You should not feed your dog before hunting!!! Food in the stomach will not metabalize fast enough to do them any good...In fact it will raise their body temp while the body is trying to digest the food......Water water water and more water.....feed them at night and feed them well, esp. if you plan to hunt the next day.......Flush'em and crush'em.......but leave some for me