• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Homemade scent killer question?

Grandee

Just wondering if anyone knows the time frame on which the homemade scent killer stays effective--2 weeks, month, two months? Ingredients-peroxide,baking soda, non-scent soap

Hey Deitz. For the unscented soap, can I use scent killer shampoo? It has a slight odor to it but its supposed to be scent free. Or do I have to buy something special?

I use the Robinson Outdoors scent-killing shampoo in mine. Its so nice to make this stuff and not have to spend $7 for 16 oz of it. I can make a gallon for like $3. Deitz, do you think we could get that recipe stuck to the top of the hunting section?

I'd like to know that recipe. If you don't mind posting the proportions of ingredients, I'd sure like to see them.

no need to sticky it to the top.. I hate it when boards get stuck with a billion stickies at the top... the recipee is quite easy and I will post it whenever anybody wants it... The store bought stuff may work better.. but I have never had a problem using this stuff... and you do save a ton of moolah!

here you go...

16oz Peroxide

16oz distilled water

1/4cup Baking Soda

1oz non-Scent shampoo

Mix very lightly otherwise you will have a mess, and let sit for 24 hours... Done! I use a spray bottle to apply to the cloths... serious about hte mixing part, it can make a mess, I feel it best to stir it with a large cooking spon rather than shake it. I then put it in old 1 gal milk containers.

deitz, does it get messy after it has been put into a spray bottle and then shook around in the truck? or by me, out of force of habit prior to application?

I also just made some of this up. I have shaken it a few times since the cooling off period and it fizzes a little but not much else. I ommitted the shampoo from mine mainly because the scent killer shampoo I have uses two different dyes and I couldn't confirm if either used UV. Plus, I read on another post that this is mainly to help it adhere to clothes better. If I can find some unscented and uncolored shampoo, then I will add to the next time.

chucker, if you dont have any scent free shampoo, give some laundry soap a try, i have used the Sport wash laundry detergent once or twice while making it if i didnt hav any shampoo handy and didnt notice any difference.

Picks- once everything has had time to mix, 24 hours or more, then it doesnt seem to fizz up much any more... I have not had it be a problem after say 3-4 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Does using a peroxide based scent killer bleach out clothing or negatively affect gear? Just curious because I'm mixing up a batch per instructions found here. The commericial brands used in any quantity do get expensive. Also, what do people do about descenting bows. Shooting in hot weather, smokey ranges has fragranced by bow.

I guarentee nothing.. but can tell you that the peroxide has not bleached my clothes...I think it may have something to do with the baking soda? But not sure.. To de-scent my bow. I take a paper towel and spray the same stuff and wipe my bow down. At times it has left a white residue on my bow.. which I was able to wipe off pretty easy.

the peroxide used in the spray shouldn't do any harm to clothes since it is such a low percentage(th estuff you have hear that is used to bleach hair is a much highier concentrate), but as deitz said! no guarenties!