Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Recent reports from the East end?

1 post in this topic

Hello everyone - I've been a long-time lurker, finally decided to register/post.

I'll be fishing the east end of Rainy this coming weekend, any recent reports out there? I've never fished the East end in September, are the fish still on the reefs or have they started to transition off?

I rigged the reefs on the American side from Buoy 39 to Blueberry Island the first week of August and had excellent fishing. As usual, not all the reefs held fish, and not all the fish we found were active, but we were able to find 40-50 fish each day that were hungry. Most of our fish came from 28-36 feet range on leeches. Did quite a bit of experimenting with Gulp 4" smelt minnows on a jig, with limited success. When we found a school of fish that were taking the Lindy rigged leech aggressively, one of us would switch over to the gulp/jig combo. Caught a few on the Gulp, but they definitely wanted leeches, from both a size and quantity perspective. For the most part, the fish were "neutral" and not taking the lindy/leech too aggressively, so this may have had more to do with our lack of success on the Gulp/jig than Gulp itself. I plan to run this "experiment" again this weekend. If anyone has tips on Gulp presentations I'd like to hear from you.