Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OakdaleFMR

Tips on going South of Prescott

14 posts in this topic

I am familiar with the St. Croix, and do well just about everytime I go out. However it sounds like there is a good bite south of Prescott and would like to give it a try with my 12 year-old this weekend. My questions are just general:

Are crawlers still the best bet or does it change to minnows/chubs?

Can you still long line or do the trees and obviously dirty water make this unproductive?

Are backwaters better or the dredged river channel?

Thanks for any feedback. I will give it a try at 6am out of the bluffs. I will be the guy in line with the red/white starcraft.

Answers in text:

I am familiar with the St. Croix, and do well just about everytime I go out. However it sounds like there is a good bite south of Prescott and would like to give it a try with my 12 year-old this weekend. My questions are just general:

Are crawlers still the best bet or does it change to minnows/chubs? Bring both, fatheads did fine for me on the last trip.

Can you still long line or do the trees and obviously dirty water make this unproductive?

I was down there and it wasn't that bad.

Are backwaters better or the dredged river channel?

Try the channel first.

Thanks for any feedback. I will give it a try at 6am out of the bluffs. I will be the guy in line with the red/white starcraft.

Good luck.

Turk

As always Turk you are the man, and as soon as I can get my friend to commit to a fall date I look forward to booking a trip with you. I was raised on the Colorado River, and now I am passing river fishing onto my kids. Someday I am hoping to see if Walleye1 has room in his boat, but he really gets up early.........

That Turk is a rather sly dog is he not? I had to read and reread both entries to find out the answers. When in doubt bring along the bait you don't think you'll need or use just in case. Trolling cranks has put a few fish in the boat for me lately so your options are open.

Tunrevir~

We do troll often and do pretty well. Still nothing better than seeing a sauger slam your son's bait while jiggin'. We are going to give it a try this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

I'm going to be breaking out the redtails this weekend, I'm actually going to pick some up in about a hour, couple dozen ought to do it!

Walli1,

Where do you get redtails in the cities? I use them often on the Crosslake chain north of Brainerd.

Vados bait spring lake park, there all out now PWT boys bought them all out!

I have tried to get Josh at Blue Ribbon Bait in Oakdale to carry them, but so far no luck. Where are the PWT boys fishing??

Walli1 do you ever fish the evenings?

Cass Lake this weekend, go Christianson! Nope, never fish anything except mornings on weekends smile.gif

Walli1 - have you fished with Mark C. on Cass or Leech Lakes?

No I havn't, the Christensen I'm refering to is Daryl,

I got some fatheads from Jimmys and saw they have chubs as well.

Turk

Well i struck out south of Prescott. I think it had to do more with dodging the 30 plus foot boats so I will try again this weekend. I am hoping the weather will chase them off the river soon. I enjoy wearing a jacket and watching the trees turn colors without a boat going by at 50 miles an hour smile.gif