Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reel man

wondering

4 posts in this topic

If crystal springs is wiped out Will there will be any trout stocked at foster or not. especially through the winter months for ice fishing.How hard did lanesboro hatchery get hit and is that ok? Will more of the workload now go to places like spring valley or will more of the funding go to rebuilding of the hatcheries.Has anything yet been said about this? The wide spread ramifications of what has happened will probably effect our statewide trout fishing for the next decade.Has anyoneone heard anything on what the dnr is thinking of doing?

The only thing I do know is that Crystal Springs didn't get totally wiped out. They were able to save quite a few fish the way it sounded. Probably just some major clean up. But, yes I am sure that this will put a hamper on trout fishing for quite a while. I am sure that all of the smaller trout streams took a beating and the fish as well. But these streams and fish have been through these kinds of things before and they are still around, so I have to believe that something of this magnitude is just part of the evolution of nature.

The only hatchery affected by the flooding was Crystal Springs, and it looks like they'll recover...although they did lose thousands of fish (literally), John Huber and his crew were able to save the brood stock and they're back in operation. Not sure about local stocking efforts for this coming holiday weekend. It IS okay to give local fisheries a call and ask them about stocking, and I would recommend doing just that...we pay their salaries after all. smile.gif

All of southeast Minnesota trout fishing was not walloped by this last flood. In particular, the branches of the WW (especially through the park and on the south branch), Garvin Brook, and Rush Creek suffered damage that will take a while to recover...but it will. I'm hoping to check out some streams soon, but from pictures I've seen, the flow has been split and widened in parts of the Rush and SBWW to the point that work will have to be done to repair the flow or the trout population will take much longer to recover.

Regarding the smaller streams that weren't in the heaviest hit flooding in Winona, Houston, and Fillmore, they'll likely recover quicker than just about all the streams and rivers. The smaller streams and headwaters are the first to recede and clean versus the larger rivers that rise slower and recede slower. Many streams will be fishable much earlier than many people think. cool.gif

The Post-Bulletin outdoors section this week has a good article about the Crystal Springs hatchery. Just fyi.