• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewashta

I have been fishing this lake for 5 years and only caught 2 pike over 30" and lots of mid 20's. Does this lake have many big ones in it or are they all smaller?

I was out on 8/31 and didn't find much of a bite on anything. Small panfish but that don't count. Caught one nice bluegill while trolling for northerns. Did find any northerns or even spot any. The most fish I found are in the little minnewashta by the access.

I have fished the lake for many years. It is primarily a large mouth factory with pigs in the 22" or 23" range with in your reach on any given day. Docks. pads, and sunken islands will serve you well on the Largemouth. When I say pads I mean deep in the weeds with frogs or other weedless topwaters and thick line to pull this pigs out. Early early morning is best on this lake for the bass, in my opionion.

I find that spring and fall is best for the crappie, sunfish, and pike. However summer will produce you just need to fish deep. The bigger pike will be in the 17-24 depths and if you can find sunked struture of deep area right by weed edge you will have success. I have found artificials work okay but a small sucker or large fathead on a jig in the deep is my best choice.

The big sunfish and crappie will be on the same deep area around sunken structure. The small fish are now around the weed edges. You have to work to get them.

Fall is just around the corner and the bulls and bigger crappie will start to move shallow as the water temps fall.

Concerning size I have got a few pike in the 10lb class. Many in the 5-7lb range and gazzillion in the 1-3lb class. When the bite is on it can be a blast for largemouth and pike.

You have to enter through the park. There is a dialy fee or you can buy an annual pass. Once in the park there are two seperate boat accesses. One is a small access on little mini and the other has much more parking spots available and you launch to the main lake

Quote:

You have to enter through the park. There is a dialy fee or you can buy an annual pass. Once in the park there are two seperate boat accesses. One is a small access on little mini and the other has much more parking spots available and you launch to the main lake

Thanks! Sounds like a fun lake to try out. How late in the year do those launches stay open?

Your making me want to try that lake. I drive by it all the time. Any more insight would be great. I've never been out there...

...why can't we post email addresses, how do we get a hold of eachother....

Accesses never close but they pull the small dock towards end of Oct from the main access. Some really big bass and pike in that lake. The big pike will be deeper and not on the weed edges until water temps get lower. Crappie size is OK but hard to locate.

I did read on the sign by the entry shack that the park closes at a certain time up until a certain date (for example: 9pm up until Labor Day) and then closes at sunset the rest of the year. I don't remember the specifics though.

I was just out there again today trolling for nothtern picked up about a dozen, nothing with much size the biggest was 25"

keep me posted if anybody is having much success with bass this week. I might to try hit it, maybe friday.

I haven't fished the lake in a number of years; but i used to do well rapidly trolling deep diving plugs and spoons near the breaks on the center point.

• 1 month later...

I was out on this lake this past Saturday and it was great. When we got on the water (7:00am) there was one other boat out there. Caught about 10 bass with this one being the biggest. I didn't have a digital scale but the analog scale we had had it marked at 5lbs. water temp was about 54 degrees and we fished in 10 ft of water with jigs...senko's..and crank baits...caught this guy on a jig...Nice lake...I love catch and release lakes!

noname.jpg

Quote:

I was out on this lake this past Saturday and it was great. When we got on the water (7:00am) there was one other boat out there. Caught about 10 bass with this one being the biggest. I didn't have a digital scale but the analog scale we had had it marked at 5lbs. water temp was about 54 degrees and we fished in 10 ft of water with jigs...senko's..and crank baits...caught this guy on a jig...Nice lake...I love catch and release lakes!

noname.jpg

Thanks for calling me noob!!