Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sportland_Bait

Great Walleye Bite- Gull Lake Report!

8 posts in this topic

Well after taking the day off yesterday, I just had the bug to get out on Gull again and chase some walleyes. Over the last two weeks our guides have been coming and going here at the bait shop. I just had to see if the reports I was hearing were true. Lets just say that today was awesome to say the least. Half the time I couldn't even get the bait to the bottom before I'd get a strike. The bass and walleyes were hanging out together on all of the spots I fished. 25-28 feet was the zone and Lindy rigs or jigs tipped with redtails was most productive. I wish that I would have had another passenger in the boat for some photos. All together I boated about 20 walleyes and a half dozen bass in a few hours. It really is an awesome time out there right now. I suggest everyone get out there and enjoy it. Our guides have a couple of openings yet this weekend if anyone wants to fish. Have a great time over the holiday!

Jason Erlandson

Have the fish been relating to the early/late periods of the day or are they starting to bite anytime? I would love to get up there but sounds like an afternoon trip might be all I can swing... laugh.gif

Jason,

Thanks for the report! What size range were the eye's out there?

Ben

I was only out in the morning until about 10:00 am, but I was talking to one of our guides that was out there yesterday afternoon. He said it was just as good in the afternoon. I think a little wave action on the water might be the most important variable that effects the activity level. The size range varied. I didn't have anything huge but there were some nice keepers, 14-17 inchers. Then of course there were some small throwbacks.

Jason Erlandson

Great report Jason. Sounds like the walleyes are going strong on Gull. My Dad and I were going to make it up there to fish and wondering if you were fishing any structure such as humps or points or do you have to find a weedline and fish it? What end of the lake seem to be the best?

Thanks in advance!!

I found most of my fish on submerged points. Sometimes nothing more than just a small knob on a large piece of structure. I caught fish on four different spots, so I think there are a lot of spots that are producing fish. The fish are going pretty good on both ends of the lake. As a rule I think that you will always find the fish on the south end to be a little bit better average size.

Jason Erlandson

Great report Jason. I'll be up there in ~3 weeks for 4 days of riggin' with redtails on Gull. Hope the pace continues.

It is a great pace! Funny story today. One of our guides had an afternoon trip starting at 3:30. He left and about an hour later he pulled back into the bait shop and picked up a few more minnows. They had gone out to Gull and had their limit of 15-16 inchers then the group wanted to go bass fishing. I don't think it can get much better than that. Sure sounds like they had a good time. Hopefully it continues. We'll keep you posted.

Jason Erlandson