Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nate larson

Fenske Lake Campground...what lakes to try?

10 posts in this topic

I am going camping with some family at Fenske Lake (near Ely) this weekend. I am hoping to catch some nice smallmouth. I am sure we will fish Fenske a little bit but it would be nice to try another lake in the area. Looking online I see quite a few lakes near by. Does anyone have any suggestions on a lake to try nearby? The lakes I am looking at are Burntside Lake, Minister Lake, Everett Lake, Twin Lakes, Hegman Lake, or Ed Shave Lake. Would any of those lakes be good for smallmouth? We don't really want to portage very far. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Feel free to respond to this post or email me at larson_nate@hotmail.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, do you think the burning restriction will still be in place this weekend? I see they did get some rain up there this week.

Thanks again,

Nate

Fenske has some smallies. Big Lake is a good lake for walleyes. I can't remember smallmouth in Big, but I'm sure they are in there in good numbers. Fenske is a really nice campgound.

Thanks Deep Down,

I forgot to list Big Lake as an option. That looks like a good one too. Just a little northwest of Fenske right? Is there a road to a boat access on Big Lake?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for smallmouth? Try to find something within a half hour drive of our campground.

Head down the Echo Tr. to Bass Lake. 270 rod portage, but you look like a young, fit guy. Try fishing right under the falls from dry lake. Bring a lunch & enjoy the day.

You will need a trout stamp to fish High & Dry lakes though...

Good luck.

Oh, yeah. Bring your swimsuit. There is a nice natural bathtub in the river falls between Dry & Bass. Nice place to visit even for the non fishing aspect of your vacation.

Shag for smallies would be a safe bet or burntside

Hiked the bass lake trail last weekend and that "natural bathtub" is looking kind of nasty and stagnant. With the drought it is barely flowing thus not staying exactly fresh. It is a nice hike though!

Thanks for the update, man that's too bad, this drought sucks the life out of a lot of fun. How many posts have we seen here that include drought warnings. The boat ramps, rock piles, sand bars, river & lake levels, & now natural bathtubs. Rain & snow, rain & snow, rain & snow... C'mon.

Later -Cloma

nate larson

I hear that either Tee confused.gif or Sletten confused.gif lake has some very good sized large mouth in it, 6 lbs +.

It's right off Fenske lake.

Tee lake rings a bell (or maybe that was the phone) frown.gif