Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Nova

Age this deer

Nova    0
Nova

Help me tell how old this deer is. Here are several different angle of him. What do you think?

MDGC0046.jpg

MDGC0313.jpg

MDGC0047.jpg

MDGC0048.jpg

MDGC0331.jpg

c&amagn    0
c&amagn

I'm going to guess 4 1/2--5 1/2 buck. Very healthy looking buck, good luck in getting him this season, he's gotten that big for a reason???

roosterslayer    0
roosterslayer

I was thinking 2 1/2 - 3 1/2. The rack looks good but the spread doesn't seem to wide. Either way he is a shooter in my book.

TrophyEyes    0
TrophyEyes

I would say 3 1/2. I don't know where he is and how the food sources are around that area, but he is no more than a 190lbs. Don't get me wrong, I would shoot him, but if you give him one more year you will have one heck of a buck. If you have a bow, yes, if you see him towards the end of the season still on his feet and you know he won't get shot by the neighbors, let him grow. He is not exceptionally wide, but has great mass. Do you know if he will get any wider? Any history from the land (dad, grandpa). If you know what he could be, you might hold off. I would think he is around a 120-130inch buck. Just my guess though.

Walleye Guy    6
Walleye Guy

2.5 years. The deer has a thin face and has no belly to speak of. Its a fairly young deer that has good genetics and good nutrition.

GerrySchoolcraft    0
GerrySchoolcraft

He looks to be a 3 1/2 year old buck, about 16-17 inch width with good mass. I have this same looking buck on my wall with shorter tines and he scored 131. I would safely score this one at 140 +or- an inch. If you can manage the land and the neighbors don't get a chance at him I would let him go for another year. Seeing your other pic's in another thread, I would take the big 8 with the sticker points first before this 11. He looks to be more mature than this one.

perchking    23
perchking

I would say he is NO older than 3.5.

harvey lee    13
harvey lee

My guess would run approx. 2.5 years old. Smaller thinner face, narrows shoulders and not alot of body mass. Yes, I would probably shot it as it may make P&Y book.

TrophyEyes    0
TrophyEyes

Remember, he is still in velvet and looks bigger than he actually is. If you have an opportunity to take him in velvet, don't even think about it, fire off an arrow. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I can get you my phone number and I would be happy to assist you in culling this deer or maybe his grandfather.

Nate McVey    0
Nate McVey

I would say 2.5. Skinny face, no belly, etc. I would have a hard time not taking him even though he is young.

McGurk    1
McGurk

The second and third pix really show a lean build with long, thin legs. Not a whole lot of bulk like you see with the older bucks, and no belly sag, either. Very healthy looking buck, but I'd say this was his 4th summer at the most (3 1/2). Tough to look past that head gear, though, and a respectable deer none-the-less!

surewood    0
surewood

3.5 years old.

big drift    0
big drift

2.5 thin face, narrow back, nice tall frame with decent bases but within the ears and room to grow. Remember they look bigger with velvet, our camp rule is 8 point minimum extending past the ears.

I would say let him go another year and push the mineral...

TrophyEyes    0
TrophyEyes

I know we are talking about this deer as a 2 1/2 year old. There has to be a bigger buck around with those genetics. He may not be coming out yet, but this guy is not the dominant buck at 2 1/2 or even 3 1/2 years old. You also want that guy breading at least one more year. These are good problems to have I guess.

LuciandTim    0
LuciandTim

Nova:

Is your time off on those pictures?? Just an observation, i'm sure you already know wink.gif

Powerstroke    20
Powerstroke

I would agree a fine 2.5yr old or maybe a 3.5yr old but no more.

Hammer Handle    0
Hammer Handle

It is extremely hard to say. Looking at the body and horns only can be deceiving.

The only way to "really" tell is to check out his teeth.

Good luck with that! grin.gif

LABS4ME    0
LABS4ME

I say, 'rope him', saw off one of his antlers and count the rings! grin.gif

I agree, hard to tell by a picture if he's a 2.5 YO vs. a 3.5 YO.

I shot a 7.5 yr. old (verified by DNR doing tooth analysis) and everyone was guessing 6.5-10.5... by it's looks. It's only a guess until you look at the teeth.

Good Luck!

Ken

EatSleepFish    0
EatSleepFish

3.5, based on the smaller size of body.

Nova    0
Nova

actually I was so impressed by all the deer I did not notice that blush.gif. It looks like it is though... I'll have to check when I get up there Thursday night. I know I had it set right at one point this late summer mad.gif

jlm    0
jlm

Based on the the deers body I would say 2.5. However, it could be 3.5 as well when you consider the size of the antlers (looks like he has some mass but hard to tell with velvet). Whatever the case, it is a young deer and if he has a chance to age a year or two more, he will be very impressive. He could be the one in several thousand that could be a true booner soon! Tough choices this Fall maybe?

PerchJerker    0
PerchJerker

3.5 or 4.5. There's been a lot of comments about his body shape. Wait for 45 days and then look at him, he'll be big and blocky with plenty of sway and sag and swagger, and lots of guys will be guessing 5.5. Nonetheless he's a fine deer.

Hammer Handle had it right, the only way to know for sure is to have his teeth examined grin.gif