Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deep_Sinker

Trout Lake

11 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone has been into Trout lately? I'm planning a weekend trip next weekend. We want to target walleyes but am wondering if trolling for lakers would be worth our time. Any general help would be appreciated.

What are the september hours? I always forget to look when Im there.

I believe it's by appointment. How have you guys been catching walleyes on Vermillion?

Lindys and crawlers, spinners and crawlers or minnows. and I got 8 yesterday in 32 f.o.w. with jigs and minnows.

Good bite is really starting to pick up now! laugh.gif

Cliff

Thanks for the report Cliff! I hope it keeps getting better...we'll be up there next Friday thru Sunday. Do you know how the laker fishing has been in Trout? Any specific spots to try? I thought about trying to find 65ft off a steep break and jigging as I don't have a good trolling set up.

Very good way to find trout!

They may also be moving up onto the 15' to 25' reefs in the evenings now if the water has cooled down enough.

Try trolling silver colored spoons with a minnow on 1 hook and a 1 oz. weight on the line over around 35' to 60' of water. If the spoon gets down to around 20' the lakers will not hesitate to come up to hit them if they are hungry.

Troll just fast enough to make the spoons wobble a little.

Cliff

Any last minute reports Cliff? Crawlers or fatheads? Spinners, jigs, or lindys? What should we look for in trout? Thanks!

I have not heard any reports from Trout for a couple of weeks, sorry.

At this time of the year I would bring all three baits as the water temps are changing and the walleyes may also be moving.

The walleye bite has switched over to minnows almost exclusively for me on Vermilion.

Cliff

Well, we covered most of the West side of Trout and couldn't find any walleyes. From what we heard from other campers, the walleyes were also absent from their catches as well. You can catch all the smallmouths you want though. We did manage one nice 4.5 lbs laker though. Was a good trip and we lucked out with the fire ban getting lifted.

That's what I usually go to trout for anyways. There are some beautiful smallies in that clear, cold deep lake!

Ive always found the majority of smallies in BIG trout to run on the smaller side. But you can almost catch one on every cast....if you know what to use..muah ha ha ha!