Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firebug

scopes on muzzleloaders

5 posts in this topic

Hey can anyone tell me if we can put scope on our muzzleloader this year. I thought the Outdoors News had say the legilslature passed it or I'm I wrong. The hunting reg. booklet says that you can't use them during the muzzleloading season. What's really going on?????

scope on muzzleloader=shotgun. No go this year

Scope on a muzzleloader is OK during regular firearms season, but no go for muzzleloader season.

I believe that that's one way that they try to make sure that the muzzleloaders we're using are "primitive", which is what the black powder season used to be about. Using the old fashioned pour, pack & measure type of guns, as opposed to the in-lines that are available now. And please, don't think for a minute that I'd trade my CVA in-line for an old style, 'cuz I wouldn't! grin.gif I'm just saying that as far as I know, that's the reasoning.

They are not primative at all. I dropped a doe in her tracks at 150 yards with open sights. The amazing part about the shot wasn't that it was with a muzzleloader, it was that it was with open sights. My TC encore groups so well at that range that I have no problem pulling the trigger. I have shot 4 deer over the last 3 years with it and not one has taken another step after impact.

I agree that they aren't primitive. What I was trying to say was that the legislature feels that by notallowing scopes during muzzleloader season, they are keeping things more traditional, I guess. I don't have a problem with no scope on the muzzleloader at all. To be honest, where I hunt, they're pretty much useless, anyway, and I haven't used one for regular firearms season in over 10 years. I can see where some folks may want/need to use them, but as long as the state says no, then so be it.