• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best time to bother farmers?

What have you guys found as the best time to show up on farmer's doorsteps and ask for permission? I didn't grow up on a farm and don't know what the busiest part of the day is. Last thing I want to do is be a pain in the behind and take them away from their work.

if its a dairy farm, the best time might be 9 or 10 am. when they get done with morning chores and maybe relaxing after breakfast. i'm not sure for other types of farms (crop, beef cattle)

a note in their mailbox might also work. explain that you didn't want to bother them when they were busy. give them specifics like how old you are, where you want to hunt, how many people, what type of hunting, when, etc. tell them you'd be respectful of their land and would follow any rules they had.

good piece of advice on the 9a or 10a for dairy farmers

I wouldn't touch their mailbox though--if they possess a hatred of hunters they might report you to the feds for mailbox tampering...I wouldn't put that past some people, although I have met a lot of nice farmers as well.

Its kind of weird--some farms we visit always seem to have someone home and others we've never seen a soul despite there being garage doors open, tractors / 4 wheelers out front, etc.

Good luck. I'm gonna knock on some doors this week also.

SA/wdw

I would think now would be an okay time to contact them. I would think the best time would be during late July and early August because that is probably one of the times where they don't have a lot to do with crops. In a couple of weeks though I definetly wouldn't bother them because they will probably be either getting their equipment ready for harvest if not starting to harvest grain. I'm not a farmer but I grew up in rural MN and that seems to the time when they don't have to be out spraying, cultivating, etc.

we've had pretty good luck leaving a note on the door if nobody was home; basically stating we were interresting in asking permission for a particular field; but would like to meet in person. many times we get a call back and get the permission over the phone, but some guys do say to stop up so they can meet us before giving us permission. just remember to buy em some beer or chops or give gift certificates or something to show your appreciation if you do get the land; and always thank them for their time regardless if you get a field or not.

"....and others we've never seen a soul despite there being garage doors open, tractors / 4 wheelers out front, etc."

I know that some farmers get real tired of answering the door for hunters (high traffic hunting areas during the season). There was one year that we knocked on the door of a farmer that always allows us to hunt, but they did not know we had a new truck. They simply did not answer the door because they did not recognize the vehicle. He told us later that day that he was home at the time. We had already called ahead during the summer months and gained permission prior to the season starting, so it was not an issue. I would definitely say make sure you get out now and ask permission, if you have not done so already.

One tip is don't assume you are "bothering" them. Most farmers like visiting and developing relationships and getting to know you. Depending on weather and time of season (harvest or not) makes a big difference on their availability. When it's wet they can't do much and would probably welcome some discussion from stranger. If conditions are ideal for "making hay" then the most polite thing to do is ask if there is a better time to come back.

Just a little after dark is when I have the best luck.

Make sure to stick out your hand, state your name and take a genuine interest in the other person. You might be surprised at how much hunting is available to you.

I think you hit it right, uguide. Being a part-timer myself and knowing my neighbors, the one thing we have commented on is how distant people have become over the generations. Some of my elderly neighbors most cherished memories are of the harvest when neighbors would gather to help each other. The mid-day lunches, coffee, and socializing was the important thing and the actual harvest was almost secondary. Farmers (most) enjoy visitors.

Bob