Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Casaloma

Labor Day Week on Knife. Reports, Tips, Tricks or Tactics...

3 posts in this topic

Hi every one. I'm hoping some of you have insight into the method of taking Lakers from Knife Lk. in the BW. Currently I am bringing walleye gear & adding weight ( no jokes please grin.gif ), flutter spoons, Superior casting spoons, & frozen Ciscoes.

Can anyone help me augment my tackle or help me narrow down my areas to search etc. Any & all info. would be helpful. I am open to email suggestions also for those who prefer that, finsnfriends@hotmail.com

Thanks! -CLoma

Randy, you up for the same bet as last year? First beverage at pool league to the man with the biggest Laker between now & then??

I'd bring 2 oz bucktail jigs for vertical or slow drift fishing. Because your paddling and because you need to get deep with just weight I'd pick some spoons that don't need much speed to make them work like Suttons and Finns. With the spoons bring up to 3 oz beaded chain or bottom bouncers. Drag a slit bottom with those and jig the saddles, bars and steep walls.

I think I'd start looking in 50' of water then start getting deeper into 70'.

You might also want to consider a snap weight system...the same as we use on the Great Lakes. It consists of a snap device that clips on your line, ahead of the lure (try it 10 to 20 feet ahead of the lure, make sure you get the line behind the post so it doesn't slip off). You can then attach a weight to the snap swivel that hangs off the unit. Check Sportsman's Warehouse for a great selection of weights. Get a couple of each weight from 1 to 5 or 6 ounces (I know, it's a lot of weight to carry). But you will now have a set of "poor man's downriggers" for about $30 which work great with spoons, stickbaits, and some crankbaits. When you crank in the fish, you will need to stop as the weight comes in and unsnap it from your line. One guy fishing alone can easily do this. Just check out the snap weight kits (about $22) and augment with extra weights...you'll understand exactly how they work. I would suggest a 3 or 4 ounce weight about 15 feet ahead of a standard stick style Rapala. You'll have to work out what colors to bring. Weight will be dependent upon drift/troll speed and the depth you desire. You might also consider a heavier weight rod than a typical walleye rod for those 3-5 ounce weights. Good luck!