• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shore fishing outside downtown st paul

i've always heard there are decent bass just outside downtown st paul (across from harriet island). has anyone ever fished there (or harriet itself). i'm thinking about going after work tonight. any recommendations?

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure about bass off harriet island, but you can catch some nice cats off harriet. For bass, I would recommend heading south of DT on warner to a little culvert and try fishing there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ya, I just found out last year it is known as Raspberry Island. I have always know it as Navy.

How ever, last year they torn that island apart and I am not sure what is going on down their. In one month’s time, it changed totally and I believe it was fenced off on the east side.

When a wedding or event is going on, I have seen some interesting stuff down in the parking lot after getting their and heading to the point. You might walk up on some people that think they are alone and get caught up in the down town sky line, with just being at a wedding in their minds grin.gif;). Plus you see some drunks and occasional fight in the event center parking lot.

ah, ok. i've always known that as raspberry ;-)

i thought there was a fence along the east side too? didn't look like much access to the water. i was at st anthony yesterday & on the stone arch bridge. looks like good bass fishing there, especially on the st anthony side.

• 1 month later...

under the bridges along minnehaha creek close to where it drains into the mississippi is also good for smallies. the downstream edge of the sand bar at the mouth of the creek is also excellent.

i've always seen people fishing right where the creek comes in but i've always wondered about just up stream from there. does that hold fish? i'd assume it would when the water level is higher.

i haven't tried that stretch but i know that on the st. paul side just below the dam there is a bunch of concrete debris piled up under the ford plants power station. there are definitely smallies off of that area. also occasionally some very large northerns and walleyes. usually you need a boat out in the pool to get at the pike though.

i've had great luck with smallies on the st paul side near the dam. the minnehaha creek side usually has too many people

• 2 weeks later...

matt, where does one park on the st. paul side and how do you get down there? i've gone down to minnehaha numberous times and enjoy fly fishing the creek, it'd be nice to try some new water in that area......

hidden falls regional park off of the east river road.

i was just at hidden falls last night. i had no luck by the boat launch but i walked towards the dam & caught three smallies in about 20 minutes. each 1.5-2 lbs. i've seen a lot of people catching fish by the boat launch (usually to the right, if you're looking at the river).

Matt, planning on headin to hidden falls tomorrow first time heading there, any tips you can give me on what to use, where to try to maybe find a few walleye, but smallies would be fun as well..

nick,

sorry , i didn't see this until today. i've seen people have great luck with crawlers/minnows. i use plastics primarily. i was there saturday morning and caught about a 10lb catfish on a 6ft rod with 6lb mono. it was a blast.