Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wallter

New Gun (which choke & which loads?)

8 posts in this topic

I bought a new Super Black Eagle 2 and am curious what guys use for chokes and loads for best results during early goose. I'm heading to the gun range on Friday & will try some diff. combos but would like to here some feedback.

I use a patternmaster choke tube with 3 1/2in BB for all my Goose hunting.

i use the factory modified choke that came with my rem870, i throw 3" kent fasteel BB all season, and kent fasteel #4 at ducks, but each gun/choke combo is different, your best bet is to pattern a few loads and find out wich works best in yours

For the chokes that came with the gun, I use the modified with a good 3 1/2 inch load 1 or BB (I personally use Kent Fasteel).

I've always used full chokes for waterfowl...should I be using a bigger pattern choke? I do have a tendency to miss.

I'm running full choke in my 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge and I either stop them cold or miss.

Been running a lot of Kent Fasteel lately which is working great!

Faststeal is the way to go in that gun. I would use 3 1/2 with a modified. When you are using 3 1/2" shells you don't want to tight of a choke with all those BB's. If it is too tight they will bounce off each other and you can get some really strange patterning.

I just got a pattern master ported choke for my bennelli M1and shot a 3" kent BB at a 30" x 30" box at 30 yards and it was a darn nice pattern (stop counting at 45 bb's) all in about 24" radius.