• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time to Rainy Lake and Mn.Need info

Me and 2 other guys are planning a trip to Rainy Lake in 2008.Considering 6/21/08.We have never fished for walleye, pike or smallmouth, but have fished all out lives (we're 56)We plan to get a guide for at least 1 day, maybe 2.Is the later part of June good for these species?Would another time be better? June, July August and early Sept. would be our choices.

Ghoterman:

I would say your date is fine. The walleyes should be transitioning/ed to the reefs for the most part. You will probably pick up an occasional northern and smallie as well fishing the reefs. We don't target smallies or northerns so I don't have much for you on those species. As for the walleyes one of the popular methods used are spinner rigs using minnows,nightcrawlers or leeches. Our favorite are nightcrawlers.

Your idea to hire a guide for a day or two would be money well spent and I would definately go that route beings it is your first time on RL. It won't be your last time on RL however so be prepared to get "hooked" on Rainy.

Locals will chime in here with very good information too.

Good luck.

WG

Welcome ghoterman! As WG said June is not a bad time to be fishing, the only thing is that they will be in transition. Higher concentrations of fish can be found as little as a few weeks later. Usually July and August are the best times for fishing because the walleyes do "stack" on the reefs better. Also as WG stated crawlers and leeches usually work well during the summer months, but I always have a little of everything with. If you are looking for really good smallie fishing you may be just a little too late on that date. Most of the good smallie fishing occurs a couple weeks earlier when the fish are post-spawn. If you come later smallies will still be biting, but it will take a little more finesse and skill to catch them.

As WG said it would be a REALLY, REALLY good idea to hire a guide for at least the first day. These guys have so much information, tricks, and techniques to share with their clients and it really is an valuable step towards catching walleye on Rainy Lake.

As for guides there are many, many good guides in the area. RainyDaze guides and posts on here frequently, but there is also Dock Holiday, Woody, Mike Lessard, Mike Pederson, and all the other guides at the Thunderbird, Island View, and the Houseboat Companies.

We look forward to having you visit us in the Borderland next year! If there is anything we can do between now and your trip, feel free to set up a post and ask a question.

I am not an expert on Rainy, but perhaps someone that is around the area all year could respond to the comment I am about to make. Rainy is one of those lakes where the date really doesn't matter. The fish bite all year... WHERE you fish for them is what changes. Does that sound about right?

Ghoterman:

I think Anylake pretty much sums it up. Goto RL and you will catch fish. Especially running with a guide the first day to get you up to speed with the local fishing practices, etc. I was up in mid June and early August and had good fishing. Had a friend up there mid July and he had good fishing. Tearin Lips fishes alot and he was gently pointing you towards the end of June into July/Aug I believe, and he can chime in here again but I would think that is because of a better chance of a consistent bite, ease of locations and less of a possible weather variable. I believe you would find it tough to pick a bad time to come however. They would all be very good to excellent times. The local guys on this board want you to catch fish and will go out of their way to make sure your visit is successful in every way possible. Tips on what is working, general locations, etc. I was totally impressed when I started going to RL on how helpful everyone was. RL1Stop has been very helpful to our group. You might call one of the guides that Tearin Lips has mentioned and get their feel for when works the best for you and what the expectations are. Sounds like you guys are somewhat flexible in when you can come. I would check with the guides schedules and seek their advice on dates at this point.

One more tidbit. Have a GPS/sonar (I like Lowrance)with MN Navionics chip for RL and you will be over halfway there. wink.gif

WG

I am not an expert on rainy myself, but have made the trip a 1/2 dz times. Spring, summer and fall, just not winter. As far as fishing went, caught all three species you were looking for. Eyes, northerns, and smallies. some spots didn't produce as well as others, but getting your nose into a good map is well worth the time and investment. Study it, and keep your eye on the graph, and you'll be able to find fish. They are in there, we've never been skunked? cool.gif Personally, we have caught the largest fish in late may, early june. Just the ratio of numbers to their size was better i guess in the spring, and smallies seemed to be easier to target then as well.

I guess if everyone in the Rainy Lake area is as helpful as you guys on the message board, I don't see how we can miss.Thanks for all the responses.I think I will check with a local guide and get his advice, but sounds like there ain't a bad time at RL.And besides, going fishing with your friends and making new friends is what it's all about.If you manage to catch fish, too, well that's just a bonus.I'll be asking more questions as time goes on and hope you all have more good advice.Thanks again

You are right WG, that's exactly what I meant. You can catch fish any time on Rainy. However that later summer bite when they get on the reefs is better for the reasons mentioned.

Hey Boys!

TL fishes the lake extensively and understands the movements of the fish. Yep you sure can catch fish here all summer, but a transition perioud will have less concentrations of fish obviously as some have moved while others are on the way. During these periods the fish location can change daily. I personally would suggest the July/August time frame for higher concentrations of fish. The month of June often has a few patterns producing at once. Regardless your heading to the right body of water for tremendous walleye fishing! If you choose to hire a guide for the first day to show you the ropes feel free to give me a shout! [email protected] The best fishing of the year in my opinion is coming up right now! Then Hard Water! How can't you get excited about that!

RD