Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nate McVey

2 posts in this topic

Well, our efforts may not have gotten a response, but this is a step in the right direction:

As seen in the Tribune:

An environmental group filed suit in state district court today demanding that the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency take action to stop the deadly fish disease VHS from entering state waters.

The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy filed the suit in Ramsey County asking that the PCA be ordered to enforce the federal Clean Water Act and restrict VHS and other ecological pollution spread by ballast water from ships.

The group claims that, unless the state regulates ballast water, viral hemorrhagic septicemia will likely spread from the other Great Lakes through ballast water and infect fish in Lake Superior and, eventually, throughout Minnesota.

The disease causes severe bleeding and eventual death in the fish it infects, although it has not been known to affect people.

“So far Minnesota has been sitting around waiting for the federal government to do something and nothing has happened, while VHS gets closer and closer,’’ said Kevin Reuther, lawyer for the group. “Minnesota should be a leader in this, and the state needs to step up to the plate. If we do nothing, it’s just a matter of time.’’

Representatives of the group met with PCA Commissioner Brad Moore in April, but didn’t reach any agreement on ballast issues.

PCA officials wouldn’t comment on the suit Monday, but Moore, in a written statement, said the agency “recognizes the need for comprehensive, effective and practical regulations for vessel discharges.’’

Makes a person think about where the heads of the dnr are at. Maybe this will just go away. NOT . they should be doing something about it.