Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CodyDawg

Binocular recomendations....Nikon?

10 posts in this topic

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Nikon Monarch 10X42 binoculars. If you own a pair of these or similar, I would like your thoughts. I am also thinking about Burris Signature's as well, but the price difference makes me swing to the Nikons. Feedback?

Cody, I was in similar ballpark a couple years ago. I ending up with 8x42 Burris Signatures on the advice of some birders. It also helped that they were on clearance and I got them for $275... I know, great price, I am not even sure what they cost nowadays. But I can say this, I was going in expecting to buy the Nikons, but after price being lower on Burris, but especially when looking through them side by side, the Burris were clearly nicer to my eyes anyway. Also, I guess the Signature binocs have a more durable ans stronger internal mechanism (take the Burris and Nikons an tap them on a hard surface lightly, and you can feel the Nikons springs "twanging" inside. The Burris uses gears I guess, or is what the birder guy told me).

I am very happy with my Burris, and for my next scope or spotting scope, I think I will go Burris. I really love my 8x42, can you tell smile.gif But I have Nikon scope as well and like that, but the Burris products just seem clearer to me.

Until you get to the really really spendy optics, I think Burris has the best bang for the comparable buck.

Good luck.

edit: come to think of it, you may get better advice from the birder forum here. They know optics better than me and may find out my advice is full of holes smile.gif

I liked some Burris glass I looked at, but can't remember the model. Ended up with Pentax.

I like the Monarchs they are very nice. But I ended up with a pair of Leopold Cascades I believe is the model. I run VX2 scopes on my gun so I asked the dealer which pair of leopold bino was most similar as I had been very happy with the VX2 scopes and that is what he told me. I have been very happy with them. But I don't think you can go wrong with Nikons either.

When you start talking about optics you get what you pay for. I used to work at a high-end camera shop and it was the same thing there -- you get what you pay for.

When you start talking high end -- you are getting good stuff. I like the eye relief that some of the models have. I think that Zeiss, Steiner, Nikon and Leupold are all good units. Some come with more bells as whistles than others.

I would try them all out at a store and see which one you like the best. I liked the Nikon and Steiner, but I also think it is a "Ford vs. Chevy" issue when you get into the quality.

I use Leupold and Nikon on my guns.

You need to look at them and see what you like.

Good luck.

I bought a pair of 10x42 monarchs last year and am very pleased. I would recommend them to anyone in fact I had two buddies each buy a pair after I bought mine because they liked mine so much. I have also heard good things about the Burris binocs although I have never looked through a pair.

Thanks for the replies guys! I have looked through them at the store, but it is pretty hard to differentiate between them inside under the lights. One thing that concerns me is that I emailed Nikon over a week ago about what the warranty is as I cannot find it on their website and they haven't responded. Doesn't make me feel good about their customer service.

Cody -- those are the little things that I would remember when it comes to making a purchase like that.

Take a long look at eye relief -- that is a feature you really should have.

I bought a pair of the 8x42 Nikon Monarchs 3 years ago. I think they a great binocular, nice and clear I would highly recommend them. A buddy of mine bought the 10x42 and he raves about them all the time.

I used Nikons customer service last fall and they did a great job for me. My binoculars fell out of my tree stand and the twist cap for the eye piece broke. I called Nikon to order the part and said to send them in. I shipped them to Nikon and they emailed me that it would be $20 to fix them and for shipping. I sent them the money and when I got them back I was sent a brand new pair of binoculars. No idea why, I thought it just needed a $10 screw on eye piece.

I just bought Leupold Cascades 10X42 we thought they measured up well with the more expensive brands.