Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
CodyDawg

Binocular recomendations....Nikon?

CodyDawg    0
CodyDawg

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Nikon Monarch 10X42 binoculars. If you own a pair of these or similar, I would like your thoughts. I am also thinking about Burris Signature's as well, but the price difference makes me swing to the Nikons. Feedback?

BoxMN    15
BoxMN

Cody, I was in similar ballpark a couple years ago. I ending up with 8x42 Burris Signatures on the advice of some birders. It also helped that they were on clearance and I got them for $275... I know, great price, I am not even sure what they cost nowadays. But I can say this, I was going in expecting to buy the Nikons, but after price being lower on Burris, but especially when looking through them side by side, the Burris were clearly nicer to my eyes anyway. Also, I guess the Signature binocs have a more durable ans stronger internal mechanism (take the Burris and Nikons an tap them on a hard surface lightly, and you can feel the Nikons springs "twanging" inside. The Burris uses gears I guess, or is what the birder guy told me).

I am very happy with my Burris, and for my next scope or spotting scope, I think I will go Burris. I really love my 8x42, can you tell smile.gif But I have Nikon scope as well and like that, but the Burris products just seem clearer to me.

Until you get to the really really spendy optics, I think Burris has the best bang for the comparable buck.

Good luck.

edit: come to think of it, you may get better advice from the birder forum here. They know optics better than me and may find out my advice is full of holes smile.gif

Whoaru99    0
Whoaru99

I liked some Burris glass I looked at, but can't remember the model. Ended up with Pentax.

iffwalleyes    0
iffwalleyes

I like the Monarchs they are very nice. But I ended up with a pair of Leopold Cascades I believe is the model. I run VX2 scopes on my gun so I asked the dealer which pair of leopold bino was most similar as I had been very happy with the VX2 scopes and that is what he told me. I have been very happy with them. But I don't think you can go wrong with Nikons either.

Dahitman44    0
Dahitman44

When you start talking about optics you get what you pay for. I used to work at a high-end camera shop and it was the same thing there -- you get what you pay for.

When you start talking high end -- you are getting good stuff. I like the eye relief that some of the models have. I think that Zeiss, Steiner, Nikon and Leupold are all good units. Some come with more bells as whistles than others.

I would try them all out at a store and see which one you like the best. I liked the Nikon and Steiner, but I also think it is a "Ford vs. Chevy" issue when you get into the quality.

I use Leupold and Nikon on my guns.

You need to look at them and see what you like.

Good luck.

Imkmfly    0
Imkmfly

I bought a pair of 10x42 monarchs last year and am very pleased. I would recommend them to anyone in fact I had two buddies each buy a pair after I bought mine because they liked mine so much. I have also heard good things about the Burris binocs although I have never looked through a pair.

CodyDawg    0
CodyDawg

Thanks for the replies guys! I have looked through them at the store, but it is pretty hard to differentiate between them inside under the lights. One thing that concerns me is that I emailed Nikon over a week ago about what the warranty is as I cannot find it on their website and they haven't responded. Doesn't make me feel good about their customer service.

Dahitman44    0
Dahitman44

Cody -- those are the little things that I would remember when it comes to making a purchase like that.

Take a long look at eye relief -- that is a feature you really should have.

2dog    0
2dog

I bought a pair of the 8x42 Nikon Monarchs 3 years ago. I think they a great binocular, nice and clear I would highly recommend them. A buddy of mine bought the 10x42 and he raves about them all the time.

I used Nikons customer service last fall and they did a great job for me. My binoculars fell out of my tree stand and the twist cap for the eye piece broke. I called Nikon to order the part and said to send them in. I shipped them to Nikon and they emailed me that it would be $20 to fix them and for shipping. I sent them the money and when I got them back I was sent a brand new pair of binoculars. No idea why, I thought it just needed a $10 screw on eye piece.

Kingfisher    0
Kingfisher

I just bought Leupold Cascades 10X42 we thought they measured up well with the more expensive brands.