Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

Cross lake launches....

10 posts in this topic

Me and my family are going up to a friends cabin on Pine lake the weekend after Labor day. I checked out the DNR report and Pine doesn't offer much, so I decided I will focus on Cross, which is close by. Where can I launch there. The DNR page says there is a COE campground on the east side of the lake. Is this true? Do I have to pay? Also, if you can give me a clue as to how the fishing is that time of year, that would be great. Will fish for all species, panfish, bass, northerns, walleye...

Also, if anyone would like to share any fishing experiences of fishing Pine lake, I would be interested. After all, those DNR profiles don't necessarily tell the whole story.

Thanks a bunch!

You can launch at the campground which is just pass the dam on the east side of cross. Probably the most convienent for you also. There are free launches on the west side of Cross. Just north of Manhatten beach on trout (shallow though), Clamshell and also Hay lake ( I use that one). However for convienence you cannot beat the campground launch. I spend alout of time on Pine and do very well for bass and pike with all of the usual presentations. Walleye are hard to find though. I like the long no wake channels for fishing with the kids. Too many monster boats that put up big wakes on main bodies of water. No matter you will enjoy the time on the water.

Yep, the COE access is nice, and the cost is only $3 or $4 per day, so nice and cheap. you can leave your trailer there, or truck and trailer, whatever works. I suggest locking your trailer to the cable in the main park access parking lot (there are two accesses, and the main one by the dam is nicer) and then just driving the vehicle back to the cabin on Pine. Nice and easy, then just hook back up when you leave.

Trolling on Whitefish is always fun. Daggett will give you lots of action for pike and bass, but I don't htink any walleyes, and the fish usually are not that big. But fun if you want action smile.gif

edit: btw - you don't need to pay to leave your trailer there, just a day use pass for the vehicle. So technically would be that fee to launch, and then again to pull out if different day, but they don't really check you unless you leave the car there. But at $4, still plenty cheap and it is very nice.

Have fun!

Thanks Oakdale! Me and my son would love to get into those pike and bass. Any size to 'em?

The bass are pretty aggressive right now, good size ones too. Various shad raps or spinner baits. Slimers will hit those too. Pine use to have some nice panfish, especially gills.

I was thinking about camping at the COE campgrounds, I wouldn't have to pay to use the access if I was staying there would I?

Nope, that is part of the camp fee. It is a really nice campground.

The campground is also just across the street from several stores, diners, a bar or two, and most importantly bait from the Holiday store :-)

Try trolling jointed raps in 15 fow on the western side of Cross. You will have Northerns biting like crazy.

there is a bait shop also across the steet right next to Holiday.....a little nicer live bait selection IMO but not as many rigging choices as Holiday!!

Quote:

Try trolling jointed raps in 15 fow on the western side of Cross. You will have Northerns biting like crazy.

Thanks, me and my kid will have to try this!