Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WCS

Brule River at Judge Magney S.P.

9 posts in this topic

I will be camping at Judge Magney State Park this coming weekend. Any one have any advice to offer on fishing the Brule river? I typically trout fish the streams here in SE Minnesota with a spinning rod. I have never been to this park, so I have no idea what to expect. I am willing to travel a bit if there are streams nearby that would make a better option. Thanks for your help.

This time of year the northshore streams don't have too much to offer. I don't know how much rain they've gotten up there recently, but my guess is the streams up there are at trickle levels. You might catch a couple tiny rainbows or brookies...fishing for decent sized fish goes with the spawning runs for the steelhead in the spring and salmon in the fall. Also, your only allowed to use single hooks. Above the devil's kettle you might be able to use treble hooks, but I'm not sure...you might catch some little smallies above there too.

The pink salmon should be showing up in almost all the rivers long the shore soon. they are not the best on the table but fun to catch on light gear. Cast where the brule enters the the lake for lakers and some chinooks. check the rules closely because soon the Brookies will be close from the lake to the first posted boundry and they have to be over 20 inches to keep one. Also make sure you know your fish ID other wise it may cost you.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on catch and release fishing only. What type of lures do you recommend in order to comply with the single hook regulation from the lake to the first posted boundary?

#0 mepps spinners, you can buy them in single hooks with or fly or bug trailer or just cut 2 of the hooks off. Last year when the salmon were running I seen this guy catch a 20 pound chinook and his limit of pinks by just twitching a 1 inch orange or yellow mr. twister along the bottom.

Yarn flies work well. Easiest way to make a yarn fly it to snell a hook on your line and tuck a piece of yarn under it and trim it to about the size of a couple three eggs when wet.

The Brule is so low that there is hardly a trickle right now. As for other streams, some of them are dried up completly, or the mouth is closed and they are just standing water. Devil Track River is about 3 feet wide near the mouth, and not even moving. We need significent rain in order to even think about having a salmon run up here.

Now for some good news...If you cast out into the lake at the mouths you should catch some salmon. The pinks are starting to show up, and guys in boats are catching Chinooks pretty shallow. Good luck when you come up here, and remember that the fire ban is still in place.

Thanks for all the information. I think I'll give the main lake a try. Yes, unfortunately, I am aware of the fire bans. I would love to share some of the torrential rain we have received down here in the SE corner. Some areas have received over 2 feet of rain for the month. Just less than a month ago, we were in severe drought conditions and that changed in a hurry. Hopefully you will see some meaningful rain soon (just not too much.

It is raining pretty good up here right now and according to the radar on the National Weather Service site it comeing down pretty good in that area too.