Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surface Tension

A Day On The Water

4 posts in this topic

With the forecast of winds and gusts we scraped the plans of trolling Superior and headed to a small inland lake for eyes.

Its that time of year when the the night time temps drop below the surface water temps leaving the lakes in a fog and turnover is just around the corner. With the cool nights and shorter days, more eyes are starting to show up shallow taking advantage of the oxygen rich, cool surface water on windblown shores and shallow humps.

In the boat was my son, Reefraker, myself, and a 1/2 lb of leeches. I rigged Jr with a slip bob and leech where he targeted the top of a shallow hump. Wasn't long before he had the first 17" eye in the boat.

RR and I started pitching jigs tipped with a leech(minnows would have worked too), covering the contours.

Slip bobber was down again and another eye at 18". Didn't take long to figure out the walleyes were on top the humps and not so much on the contours. Mean while a few more eyes are taken on the jigs. We move to the windblown shoreline trolling spinner and leech. The eyes are there also but the winds are making boat control difficult so we move to another hump and anchor. Jr wants a jig, all our fish so far have been hitting very light with a slow and methodical presentation so I have my doubts about him working a jig under those conditions. Not taking my advice to slow it down, he'd cast out, let it sink and then zipped it in fast over the hump. I greatly underestimated him as he popped four 17-18" eyes in a row on a jig HIS way. While the rest of us did get fish our way, we waited too long to try long to try Jr's method, that 1/2 lb of leeches are gone, yep fishing is good.

We tried plastics but no go. Tried stick baits and again nothing.

Glad to see you guys had a great day on the water. Nice that Jr. is outdoing his old man. That's a key for any young fisherman. grin.gif

Frank,

Isn't it funny how that happens? When I was on Basswood a week ago my wife out fished me with her way. We were using bottom bouncers and every once in awhile she would hold the pole straight up in the air. Of course I had to make a comment about it and from that point on she caught about three fish to every one I caught. Another lesson learned the hard way again.

Between Jr and I it was neck in neck. Not that I'd mind getting out fished by him,,,,again. grin.gif