• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

winona/houston county hunting and the flood

USPENAMC

First let me say that my families prayers are with those people who suffered loss in minnesota by the floods!

I wanted to ask how the floods have made you change your tactics/hunting grounds/plans for this upcoming season?

One such thing was that the WHITEWATER area was closed indefinetely due to the flooding. Did anyone hunt this area?

Will any of you be heading north instead of south for archery season?

Do you think this floods helped or hurt the deer population?

My group has hunted Houston for the last 13 years. I have only been the last 3 but we have a lot of ties down there. Everyone was safe, but they have a lot of hurdles to overcome in the next couple months. One group of land owners have property on top of one of the hills, the problem is that the switchback road up to the top is now piled up at the bottom of the hill. They have to drive down the hill on 4 wheelers and horses to get food and supplies. Some have access to another road that takes them 45 minutes out of the way.

My cousin went down to help out this weekend and he said that all the Treestands need to be rechecked because some of the trees are not sturdy due to wash outs and mud slides. He is hunting a ground blind until things go back to normal. There is plenty of debris to make a ground blind out of tree limbs and branches. He also said that some of the deer travel routes have changed due to some slides and new revines that have been created.

Some of the land owners laughingly admit that as hunting goes, they are happy because most people will not have access (private roads only) to a lot of the land. And as sad as this next statement is, but it's true. They also said there will be far less poaching due to limited escape routes.

i personally dont hunt those areas but was wondering about how it would affect the people who do. deer will probably be more centralized in some areas but hunters will need to find a way to GET IN AND OUT of those areas. Those that dare do that might find a nice specimen