• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling rod setups?

vikingmeatwad

Hey guys, I want a new trolling rod for raps, etc. I imagine the ideal setup is a med/heavy baitcast with one of those line counters?

I have a Cabela's gift card so I may just get one there if there is good value to be had.

Thanks!

Viking

If your going to get into the trolling game, I would suggest rigging up with a trolling specific rod and reel. Like you suggested, a line counter is ideal.. Not needed as a trolling specific rod isnt either, but they both make life much easier when out on the troll...

Personally, I run Diawa Sealine line counters for all my walleye set-ups. Great reel with a great drag and line counter. For rods, for the past few months on the 'eyes I have teamed these reels up with Jason Mitchell Elite Series trolling rods. They are 8 footers and get the job done well. But that is just me..

Lots of more inexpensive rods and reels out there to choose from. Many actually, so look at what your budget has to offer you. But if you can afford it, go with some quality gear and you wont be disappointed later.

It kinda gets down too how much you want to spend! I use the Cabelas DepthMaster Gold Combos. I have a lead core,Planer and trolling setup in this combo. I have no complaints and cost is right at a 100 bucks a setup!

The gold series reels are better than the plain Depthmasters imho!

Shimano Talora rod - Diawa Sealine linecounter reel. The Shiman Talora rods are great and telegraph what's going on with your cranks. I'm using trolling rods I've made (Batson telescoping 8' blank) that work just as well as the Talora's but in a comercial model I would go with the Shimano's

I can't help much with the rod and line because I don't know what kind of trolling you want to do, but I can recommend that a line counter reel is the greatest invention since the wheel when it comes to trolling. I have the Daiwa Sealine style. The biggest of them is only marginal for lead core line, but still serviceable. If you're fishing lead core, you may want a larger capacity reel. A friend of mine uses the less expensive Daiwa trolling reel and he has been happy with it.

I also have tried a few different kinds of lines and prefer 30# braid. Line is a big decision though. Depending on depth you want to fish and the kinds of baits you use and the distance you can realistically expect to troll from your boat, then you will need to pick one line instead of another.

Best bet is to ask people who troll for the things you want to troll for, in the kinds of places you want to troll for them. It could save you some expensive mistakes.

Rods are another issue. If you're going to put the rod in a rocket launcher while trolling, then those long springy 8 footers are good. But if you want to hold the rod and feel the lure ticking along the bottom, you'll want something shorter and stiffer and easier to hold.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've stayed away from the linecounter reels for the most part. They are just so bulky. I've been using ambassadeur 5600 reels with a bobber stop at 100' for reference. The ambassadeur line counter reel may be my next purchase though.

For rods I use 6-8 ft medium action IM6 or graphite compositve rods paired with Power Pro or Fire Line. It's been a very good set up for me that allows me more flexability for other types of fishing.

I've fished with several folks who use the Diawa line counter reels and they perform well.

Borch:

I started trolling late in life and went straight for a line counter reel. It's really a great thing because I get a sense of how much line a particular lure needs for a particular depth. For example: Poes 400 crankbait...70 feet in 12 feet of water... 90 feet in 15 feet of water. It's such a great convenience.

As for bulkiness, you're right. They are a bulkier than an Ambassadeur. I don't find it objectionable, but then I've got big hands too.

With the Daiwas, I use the 47LC, not because I need the extra line capacity, but because I like the bigger crank on it. It makes reeling in easier than the smaller paddle style handles.

I like 30# Sufix or Power Pro for trolling.

I like the way the 17 size Sealine feels in my hand, I also have large hands and can fit the reel inside my palm if I wish. I also have some 27 size Sealines and there's a night and day difference between them and the 17.

I have several "trolling" rods from 7.5 to 8.5 feet - rods with actions designed for planer boards, lead core, dipsys, etc. I only use them if they'll be in a rod holder. If I'm trolling and holding the rod, I pretty much hate them. My favorite rods for holding or trolling flatlines are high quality, light weight, 7 foot ML graphite rods.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quaestor,

I've been pulling cranks for so long that I know what lure to use with what length at what depth. I agree that having the precise line out really helps with depth control.

But there are so many situations where depth control isn't an concern. Many times the guy pulling the shorter line gets the fish just because they see their crank first. Other times they like it out there a long ways.

What ever works. wink.gif

Thanks everyone! I will be shopping sometime this weekend at cabela's and Gander. I think it's true you can use the setup and bring it back for another if you don't like it.

I use a 7 foot IM8 rod, medium action with a baitcaster spooled with 8 or 10 pound line, non-line counter. but what I really like using are planer boards to get the line down to the surface, and away from the boat. rod goes into a rod holder. I have caught 8 or more 8 to 15 pound northerns this summer with this rig.