• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Royal Dutchmen

Doug I was thinking about coming the last week of october for some bow hunting and some fishing. You know of any areas where I can get out and do some hunting. How is the fishing then. Thanks for any help, the guys with the lost puppy dog.

• 2 weeks later...

How is Tobie or "pup-sicle" as we call him?

Lots of state land to hunt here. Wish that I had first hand knowledge of where to bow hunt but haven't had the chance to get out up here yet.

I would be happy to show you where I rifle hunt and fishing is at it's best without the spring crowd.

Best to give us a call as soon as you have dates as we are getting pretty tight on rooms for Oct. We are taking a couple days off to work on our new Canadian island camp but leave a message and we'll get back with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey doug, Talked to Marilyn last night an she told about your new Island, Congratulations, very exciting. Will for sure have to check it out when it's up an running, see ya in a few weeks. Do you guys like squash? Boar

Hey Boar,

M told me she had you guys locked in. Just got back from 4 days on the island so trying to catch up.

Been putting steel roof on the lodge up there, that is, when I don't find myself just standing and soaking it all in and the muskie splashing 100 feet away on the reef by our dock doesnt help my concentration! Probably could have done the work in 2 days without all that. I did have to sneak out for the last few minutes of daylight to pop some "camp meat" though. Haven't got to venture too far but no need as the hump 200 yds. from the dock gave up lots of eaters and a 26" eye.

That one really got me looking forward to getting out on the river! I know that the potential to having multiple fish in that class is extremely real each trip out on the river this time of year. I am excited about the SLAM bite that the shiner runs brings on.

Will try to save a couple for you!

As far as squash, I prefer the acorns, M is not so picky. I am assuming a good squash harvest at the "Boars Nest"?

Yes squash aplenty, buttercup, orange butter cup an turbin, yum yum. I'll bring ya a litle of each. See ya soon. Boar

So whats the word on the rainy river lately guys? Water temp? Shiners all over now?

Seems like the gap and up a few miles has some nice fish in it from what I hear from the MTT championship. I guess the lake was NASTY during the tourney.

Only a few more weeks and Ill be jiggin for that ever elusive 33"er. grin.gif

Whats up? Everyone out catching fish or what?

Saw a Rainy River episode, I think from last year, on Midwest Outdoors last night and that really got the juices flowin. Cant wait 8 more days until Im in Jiggin Heaven again. grin.gif

They must be out fishing. This reminds me alot of last year's posts - few and far between. Seems every year that goes by there are fewer and fewer 'reports' or daily updates. Either the bite is that poor they don't want to talk about it frown.gif, or it is that good and they don't want to share the fish grin.gif

Sorry Guys! Had some serious distraction but hope to be on the river a bit now. I'll try to be better about posting.

Bite has been a bit slow and no one really knows why. We thought that the little bit of color we got last week from the rains was the issue but all clear and still slow.

Some nice fish (several upper 20's)coming in but lots of shorts to sort through to get them. I never feel bad about a good year class of eyes but there are so many of them they are almost a pain.

Have some good veterans in now so hope to get some good reports.

The shiners are running hard, water temps are dropping, and the hot bite is days if not hours away. How's that for a "resort report"?!

I think they're just waiting for me to have time to catch them! Maybe tomorrow?

Hey doug got a report from Frontier, my buddy an three days of fishing close to 70 fish, some dinks but one 23, 20 1/2 some others in that range, nothing huge but fair numbers. Later boar

Thanks for costing me a 1/2 tank of gas! Fished my way up to Frontier yesterday for nothing. I fished all my fav's: Clementson, Pinewood, the cuvert and a few nameless secrets for 1 good bite in 4 hours. Had a big shiner on as I pulled in at home so fished if out front and finally put a sauger in the box.

I totally sucked but some of our guys caught good fish. I felt a bit better when they said almost everything came before noon (I got out at 12:30).

Got back out for the last hour and watched my neighbor put fish after fish in the basket. Think I cracked a couple teeth gritting them.

The "thing" seems to be - Don't Move! Most of the fish caught are by anchored boats with the old local favorite in-line sinker and spinner rig method.

Personally, I would rather not catch fish than anchor (must be my ADHD or whatever) but there is no question it is producing fish when jigging is not right now.

Everything is right for a good bite except maybe cool off a couple of degrees. My muskrat-modified temp reading was 58F yesterday. Anybody remember what temp has worked before?

Think I'll go pull cranks.

Seems like 55 and under is ok, 52 is real good and 50 even better. If my short memory serves me well at all.

It better start dropping before Tues man.

Didnt get my 33"er on Sag so reserve me the spot with the pigs will ya Doug?

Hey doug hope ya filled up after gas went down, if marilyn can fix the squash like she can bake cookies ya might forget about the gas. Ohyea if you guys really like the Turbin Squash, save the seeds an freeze them for future planting cause it seems that turbin squash are hard to come by, kinda tough to grow. I hope this dosent turn in to the gardening forum. Yea ya gota force yourself to sit anchord sometimes, thats all I do, find a hole an sit, let the pods move to you. Me an Ron whent to youre suggested location an spanked a 19.5 an a 16, an a 4 foot sturg. Man i've caught numbers of sturg before but this year they really seem to be huge, Ron had one thicker than my thigh, just a monster, really get a kick when they breech like a great white shark on discovery channel. Later boar

Hey Northlander

Im hoping to be up to see my pal (Mr Bauers) around the full moon this month ,,,so leave a few there for me

I hope the temps stay above freezing so you dont have the trouble we had last year

Good Luck

Randoid

Ill try to leave ya a few Loonasea. grin.gif

Looks like good weather for us. Hop down a few degrees. I would like below 50 but it aint looking like it will get there.

I may get back up later in Oct as well. Let me know when ya go and maybe we can hook up.

Whens the full moon supposed to be again?

Looks like Tues slight rain, wed about the same and thurs/fri sun and temps in the low 50's all week. Lets keep our fingers crossed.