• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looking for trainer

fisher

Im looking for a trainer for my do I would like to send my dog away. has any one done this? How did it go?

thanks

Jeff Krop

Many things can go into picking the right trainer. IS it for obedience or hunting? or both? The breed of your dog, flusher or pointer? Those things will matter to the trainers because some don't work universally.

After many great recommendations here I used Wings and Whistles kennels in Watertown, MN. They were great and they help trainer the owner too. I found this very helpful since mine is my first dog.

I called several places and visited most of them. Any quality place will have references. They should have a plan for how they teach. I checked on all of that and got many positive referrals.

My dog spent a total of 6 weeks at the trainer and I've never regretted a bit of it. My pup just turned one and my only regret is that I didn't get him signed up sooner.

FInd a place you're comfortable with and that fills the needs you have for you and your dog. Don't get swayed by price. The highest prices don't equal the best training. Some offer more ammenities and you need to decide what is necessary.

Quote:

Im looking for a trainer for my do I would like to send my dog away. has any one done this? How did it go?

thanks

Jeff Krop

I sent a dog away to a friend (also trainer). His name is Brain Roushar (last name SIC) at West Country Kennels is Glencoe. He did a wonderful job and his lab has won many competitions and he will take care of any type of training you're willing to have done.

Sorry I have a lad pup and Im looking for obedience with intro to birds and guns

Fisher,

Each breed has it's own speciality training group (i.e Pointing Breeds...NAHVDA) that focus on breeding the dogs for a better bred of dog. I would do a search on google. Maybe the vet you see has a few names of trainers in your area?? Most dog clubs do associate with AKC, you could possibly search on their website as well.

I have a German shorthair so sorry I don't have names.

Fisher,

I would also highly recommend Wings and Whistles. I have a brittany and springer spaniel. The brittany went through the puppy course and intro course at Wings/Whistles. We picked up the springer as a started dog from Pine Shadows, she was 10 months old and was solid when we got her from Pine Shadows. However, since the dog was for my son I had him work with the trainer at Wings/Whistles since it's close to home and the springer needed some e-collar work. The reason I went with Wings/Whistles with my brittany was the fact that they will spend time training you as well. I had my first dog trained but never spent time with the trainer and I had the dog messed up in short order. It's important that you learn how to control the dog and, most importantly, properly use the e-collar. Dave and Mike at Wings/Whistles will spend the time with you. If you live closer to the Brainard area check with Pine Shadows - they also do a nice job training all dogs. Also, you'll find the Wings/Whistles is very affordable and they have quality kennels. Not sure what Pine Shadows charges for training but they're also top notch.

At what age would one want to start "training?" I have a 8 week old puppy. We have mastered the sit and come commands, (stay is a tough one for her). Fetching for 15 minutes is okay too.

When would everyone start more intense training? Six months?

Quote:

At what age would one want to start "training?" I have a 8 week old puppy. We have mastered the sit and come commands, (stay is a tough one for her). Fetching for 15 minutes is okay too. When would everyone start more intense training? Six months?

Wow you have sit and come mastered at 8 weeks. Sounds like you should be the trainer. shocked.gif

Yea, if I call her she will run (okay sometimes she will walk over); and she will sit when told "sit".

But now whenever I tell her to come she comes to me and sits right away when she gets to me. I do not know if this is good or bad since I then do not have the chance to work with her on the sit command. The only time I can is when we are playing in the back yard.

you could start whenever you wanted, but remember that puppies have an extremely short attention span. I would recommend at 8 weeks do 5-10 minutes of training at a time and do multiple sessions each day (2-4 sessions per day). As the pup gets older, you can lengthen the sessions. It will make it easier for both involved. That's my .02

Your SIT command should be your Stay command as well.

Same goes with Heal, Here or Come. They all mean the same thing so use one and leave the other 2 out of your vocabulary.

Simplify your commands by using less.

The younger they are the more they sponge up knowledge. Do not wait for a certain age to begin your training. Getting a good correction at a young age will mean less of a correction and fewer times to make that same correction for the same thing.

GOOD LUCK with your training!!!

Thanks King Fischer and duckbuster.

She is doing very well with sit and come - fetching is doing very well.

We have to work on stay/sit. I think that might take some time. Any words of advice for the "stay" command or action?

Teal,

Sit should mean Sit until you tell her she can move. wink.gif

Quote:

Teal,

Sit should mean Sit until you tell her she can move.
wink.gif

I agree....no need to the "stay" command. They should sit until told otherwise.