• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cooter

harvey lee

Here's your answer to your question about my new pendulum sight.

I purchased a Savage Feather weight black sight. I have it sighted in for 20 yards on the ground and can still hit the same spot at 26 yards in the tree at 16 feet. The glow pin is ok. This sight does not have a lock to lock the pendulum in place shooting on the ground but I have not had any issues using it .

I have used a pendulum before and now back to one again. I personally never center punched deer from a tree so well when I used one before and thats why I went back. I did ad a small piece of thin felt around the top where the pendulum attaches to the base to stop any chance of noise from it hitting when it swings.

Now, one thing to remember is that the distance or yardage in a tree will vary due to poundage and how fast your bow shoots. My overall rating of these sights for hunting and shooting from the ground would be a perfect 10 as I have had no problems with it. I can group my arrows while on the ground and swinging free to the point I am trashing my fletchings.

The strange part of pendulums is next to no one shoots them. Many shops dont carry them as on hand as noone ever asks for them. For tree stand hunting, which I do 100% of the time, I love them.

If you have any other questions, fire away.

So past 26 yards what happens? My bow is getting old so I'd probably get less yardage out of one that you - not even sure if I ever chrono'd it but would guess 260ish. How about this for an idea - keep my old 3 pin sight for ground hunting and get a pendulum for up in the oaks....should be able to take a sight on and off the bow without any shifts?

Thanks for the info Harvey, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

Harvey Lee agree 100% on the Pendulum sight, eliminates

estimates on distaince's no .judgeing.

mine is good 2 to 32 ft. at 20 ft up . Light for cloudy days . Its called Eliminator Tree Stand Sight by Advanced Bow Sights. I have used it for 20 years ,so old that the box has no WWW.Com on it.

The longest distance I have checked it at to date is 26 yards. I would assume that it will shoot the same out to approx 30 yards the way I'm set up now. Granted, if I crank up my poundage my distance might get better. I see no reason not to shoot the pendulum on the ground and in a tree. When I target pratice on the ground I have no problem so shooting a deer should be no different.

I dont have to worry about what the distance the deer is from the tree or how close it is as the pendulum will swing to adjust. There may be a downfall to this sight but I have no idea what it might be.

Harvey Lee

I found three faults. Snow--so i made a hood toward the riser about 3" long keeping snow off sight when hanging in tree. works great.

Brush---the sight does not like twigs stuck in it, so I cut off a dress sock a few inchs and pull it over the hood when going through the woods. you can buy one 20 - 30 bucks in shops.

The last has to be the shooter them self in trusting the sight. I miss when I try to watch the hit. grin.gif

I have never had a twig get caught in one. I also have never had an issue with snow either but my bow is always in my hand and in my lap. maybe I have not hunted in enough snowfall. I try not to watch the arrow hit as I may upset my shooting form. Seems if I try and peek after the shot my arrows dont hit like they should.

I'm assuming if you're up in a tree hunting and climb down for say some still hunting your lock position for ground hunting is repeatable?

Again, I probably already asked this and probably got a response, but do pendulums still work on sidehills? Say for instance you are shooting uphill at a deer or what would happen if you have one out at say 25 yrds when you're in a tree but that deer is eye-level with you?

I have never had an issue shooting uphill or downhill or in a tree. Doesn't seem to matter where I shoot from.

The pendulum swings and adjust for the angle you are shooting at. My older pendulum had a lockable pendulum but my new one doesnt. On the older one, I never locked it.

My son bought a new one and if you would like to try it, send me your e-mail and I will ship it to you to try and see if you like it.

Do you recall which particular one he bought? I'm looking hard at one by TruGlo.

Archery setup is by far the most challenging of any sport I've been in. So many options, so many that work for you but not others. Which bow, how long, grip, sights, rest, release, anchor point, ...goes on and on. So many decisions confused.gif I'm sure that by the time I get it all figured out I'll be too old and shot to hunt blush.gif

I will have to check Cooter. As far as age goes with bow hunting, I'll still be climbing trees for sure when I'm 55 and hopefully 60. You have some years to go Cooter.

Heck Cotter

I am Rat- tired,with iron knees, the cimbing stand became my savior

i just got rid of my old 3-pin sight and upgraded to tru-glow's pendulum sight. and all i can say is wow, i'm more accurate now then i ever was before. and like harvey i don't lock mine on the ground either and it is still accurate. I can shot dead on from 10-25 yds and at 30-35 yds i just raise it slightly, i'm not sure about shooting downhill but i have shot uphill with it with no problems.

Standing on the ground and shooting downhill would be no different than sitting in a tree and shooting down. The pendulum swings forward to adjust for incline.

I just ordered a TruGlo pendulum from cabelas - I figure if I don't like it I can send it back. Interesting that some of the comments/ratings on it said it wasn't real consistent left/right on long shots, like there was excessive play in the sight. We'll see. If I like the pendulum system, it will be another excuse to buy a new speed demon for next year! wink.gif