Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
BassNBeer

Laptop / GPS

BassNBeer    0
BassNBeer

So..i'm looking into buying a laptop for fishing etc...

What I want to do is bring it with on the boat/ice..chart where i'm at and enter data into excel or something about the fish I catch, color of lure etc....

So, what are my options? Can I turn my laptop into a GPS, using maps as well. I've looked around at some software and hardware for my pc to do this, but wow...its confusing. Can someone shed some light on this? You might just say "Get a handheld", but what fun is that. I'll be setup with broadband on the lappy too.

Thanks for any help/ideas you might hand off!

Kyle Sandberg    0
Kyle Sandberg

One word:

GEEKSQUAD.

I'd say contact a shop that has done something like this before and see what your options are.

icechipper    0
icechipper

There are a couple of sets of software out there that come with mapping software and a GPS antenna that plugs into your USB port of your PC. I don't know how good the mapping part would work on the water but it is good on the road. Google Streets and Trips, Delorme or USB GPS.

ScoutII    0
ScoutII

LakeMaster software works well on a laptop with a GPS antenna hooked to USB port. Easy to see large screen. Sun glare on the laptop screen will make it hard to see. When I used this setup in a pickup, while moving, the hardrive would skip like on early C-D players when you hit bumps. If you have a good laptop vehicle mount that hardrive skip should be minimised. If you have tinted side windows sun glare should not be as big of an issue either.

PerchJerker    0
PerchJerker

Doc Sampson (walleye pro) writes a lot of articles and does seminars about this type of thing. Maybe you can find some helpful info if you search on his name.

walleyewild    0
walleyewild

I have a Toshiba satellite Laptop and Delorme USB GPS antenna. I have never had an issue with the hard drive skipping.

If you get the lakemaster pro map's software you can set it up to use with the Delorme puck. It is spot on on the enhanced maps.

You can also check out hightech fishing (Contact Us Please) you know what.

Doc Sampson has some great info there on maps and software. Spent a few hours reading the tips on all things electronic for fishing.

Would like to go to one of his seminars in the future.

WW

Whoaru99    0
Whoaru99

I do it both ways.

I have a hand-held GPS for portability, but also the data cable so I can output the NMEA string to a PC/laptop for mapping/tracking on the computer.

Also, then you can plot waypoints or pick spots on the computer maps and transfer them back to the hand-held if you want to carry a smaller package.

The above is kind of best of both worlds, I think.

A pure PC/laptop solution works fine, I'm sure, if you always want to haul around the laptop every time you want to use GPS.

Also, most hand-held GPS are water resistant or waterproof. Most PC/laptops are not. So, when the weather is less than ideal, it sorta doesn't work too good for a pure laptop solution, IMO.

PierBridge    0
PierBridge

Quote:

Doc Sampson (walleye pro) writes a lot of articles and does seminars about this type of thing. Maybe you can find some helpful info if you search on his name.

BIGTIME what he said....

BassNBeer    0
BassNBeer

Thanks guys. I'll check out all the ideas you gave.

waskawood    0
waskawood

Docc Sampson without a doubt. I have a panasonic CF-27 toughbook and I use a Holux GPS reciever. Lakemaster works as well as many others. The sky is the limit. Good luck and have fun.

Central Bassman    0
Central Bassman

I was just thinking of doing something like this the other day. Great information Guys!!! smile.gif

Shack    16
Shack

With a little scouting, one could buy a USB cable with adapter to a hand held unit and use it as the antenna. Find software on internet and go forth. I did this with my fish locater/GPS ready unit. I know I saw USB cables with adapters.

I am sure a $20.00 cable is cheaper than an antenna and cable, if you have a hand held unit.

walleyewild    0
walleyewild

I have found that transfering way points to both my handheld lowrance and hard mount in the boat is quite a bit easier with my laptop that has a sd card slot built right in.

Technology is a wonderful thing! smile.gif

Look online I am sure that you will find what you want for a price you are willing to pay.