Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ozzie

Grouse hunting around Cross Lake area??

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there are grouse in the Cross Lake area and if not where would be the closest drive to hunt grouse?? Thanks in advance!!

Ozzie,

There is a ton of county and state land just north of Cross Lake,on the north side of County Road 1. If you have a plat book you should be able to find it no problem The "Old Grade" road is off of 1 and there are trails all over back there. Fair number of birds in the area this year too!

Good luck

Ben

I would checkout Emily, Outing, Remer areas. More birds and more public ground. Should be able to find good hunting within 45 min. of Crosslake.

thanks for the info guys!! I know about the location of the land B420 has mentioned but I thought I would ask the question cause when I asked one of the bait/hunting shops they stated that they have never heard or seen a grouse in the area and I thought that was weird.......but you say there are some birds in them there woods huh....guess I will have to stomp through the woods and find out soon!! smile.gif

Theres alot of grouse areas near Cross. There seems to be concentrations of grouse more than the last few years. A plat book is really important so you know where to go. Find some areas with young aspen. Any fruiting shrubs are a plus, a few low areas are good too, They like the edges, Only problem, the ATVS are all over. If you go on county and some state land and run into ATVS you might as well pick up and leave and try someplace else. Nothing against ATVS but they do disrupt the habitat for hunting grouse.

Ozzie,

They need to learn how to hunt better, a guy does have to get out of the truck to find em! We have a 40 acre parcel up there and yes there are birds I do hunt with a pair of decent dogs and even in the lean years I still see/harvest birds. Lots of woodcock in the wooded wetland areas too if thats your thing.

Ozzie, I live In Crosslake and I can tell you that I have not seen many this year. On good years you will see them while driving around or see dead birds hit by cars or usually hear them drumming. Not the case for me. I know there are pockets around with better numbers but the area as a hole isnt anything to brag about. I have found it to be better a little east of here. Emily or Outing and on East. Good luck!

i will search high and low for those tasty birds!!! I have just started to hunt them and am looking forward to the upcoming season!!!

is this now a hunting forum??? Maybe we could talk about the Vikings too??

i haven't seen many birds around emily this year. their are a ton of four wheelers though! i usually go north grand rapids, hill city area hackensack longville area.

the old grade can be good if you get there early, but there are a ton of road hunters. most of the trails have alot of fourwheeler traffic so don't be surprised if you get a 1/4 mile down the trail and meet up with some.

alot of the vikings hunt grouse too, we can talk about that

Quote:

is this now a hunting forum??? Maybe we could talk about the Vikings too??

Are you lost? This is in the MN Regional Forums, it doesn't say anything about it being fishing related.

I agree with Irishbob....tons of ATV's around Emily..too many to make Grouse hunting trails any good.