Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoppe56307

Osakis or Villard

9 posts in this topic

I am going to be going fishing this weekend with some friends and family, and they have said they would like to go to either of the two lakes. Is there any thing going on them? We will be mostly fishing for sunfish and crappies.

Any info would be greatly appreicated

I have had better luck on Osakis for the bigger gills.

They are there, the hard part is finding the bigger pods of nice sized fish.

Good Luck!

On Osakis the bigger sunfish bite the best at sunrise until 10:00am on the rockpiles on the north end in 12'-28' of water. wink.gif

Good Luck

Quote:

On Osakis the bigger sunfish bite the best at sunrise until 10:00am on the rockpiles on the north end in 12'-28' of water.
wink.gif

Good Luck

You forgot to mention to troll 3 inch crankbaits at about 4mph to get the really good ones grin.gif

Villard just had the road redone for Co Rd 28 which goes right past the landing. It looks like they have some sort of yellow ribbon blocking off access to the landing so I'm not sure if it's even open to the public.

Quote:

Villard just had the road redone for Co Rd 28 which goes right past the landing. It looks like they have some sort of yellow ribbon blocking off access to the landing so I'm not sure if it's even open to the public.

Great! crazy.gif I have reservations on Villard this weekend and their launch isn't exactly usable the last I checked.

If your staying at Canary Beach, don't worry. They have the old ramp open there. It's nothing fancy, but better than the City ramp has been the last couple years. I was told the DNR is putting in a new ramp on Villard when the highway is done. Actually, we did most of our fishing on Leven the first part of August, we had better luck over there.

Yes we are staying at Canary Beach. Last year they told us to use the city ramp, not the resort ramp. Yeah we usually end up fishing Leven more too. Do you know if a 16' aluminum boat would be able to get through from Villard to Amelia with the low water?

Yes, last year they pretty much had the resort ramp closed off, but with the city ramp closed down, they opened their ramp up again. As far as going from Villard to Amelia, my Lund Laker wouldn't make it, but my brother made it through with one of the resort boats. I guess it depends on the width of your boat, but if it's about 70 inches or better, I doubt you'll make it.