• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Legal Caliber Hand Gun for Small Game - Grouse????

I am planning on heading up north for grouse opener soon (not soon enough) and am thinking of trying something new. I found these 9mm with bird shot bullets. Not sure if they are sold for fun only or if you can actually use them on grouse. I could only find rules on big game hunting but not much on small game for hand guns - specifically grouse. Anyone know where I can find the regs on that? I am also pretty sure I do not need a conceal and carry license once I am in the woods. Anyone know if I am wrong? The last thing I want is to get in trouble for a stupid decision.

For small game I do not think it matters what caliber it is. Last year I got some 44 mag shot shells and had a blast with them. Mostly I used them for squirrels and chipmunks that continuously get into the garage barn and under the house making a mess. I did get one grouse with them though. The performance of 9mm shotshells would be my question. You want to make a clean kill. range would have to be close. I have also wondered about hunting with a hand gun without the conceal carry permit? any answers out there

Check out the regs. starting on page 23 for what you are looking for. Here is an excerpt from the regs. on the permit to carry:

The “Concealed carry or permit to carry” provisions apply to

certain hunting activities. Persons with a permit under this law generally

may carry their handguns uncased and loaded while hunting, and

while traveling to or from hunting locations by motor vehicle under

the hunting firearms transportation laws. However, possession of

the handgun while 'shining' or while hunting deer by archery would

still subject the possessor to the provisions of these laws (see page 32,

artificial

lights, for more info).

Do you have a Carry Permit or not? When hunting, the Carry Permit really isn't a factor because typically you'll have your handgun unconcealed. Now you don't want to be carrying that handgun around out in public (in town, etc.) but if you're out in the woods and you're obviously hunting, you should be fine.

I've used the birdshot pistol cartridges. They're effective at VERY CLOSE ranges. I would expect very poor results beyond 20 feet or so. I think I killed a grouse with one once, but mostly I used them for killing critters in the shed, etc.

Cashcrews

I use 410 shells in my thompson contender. Ok for close range. Great for vineyard pests. Otherwise I use a scoped 22 s&w semi.

You can use it~ With that said - PATTERN! your pistol. The bb size is 12 (very small) you would want to be about 12' max (guessing) pick up a box and try a few pattern distances.

Butch

Cash,

Kap'n Kurt and I are wondering if "etc." includes your neighbor's basement?

Captjon (and Kap'n Kurt),

Your suspicions are correct. My Dad was the shooter, .44 Magnum Birdshot dispatched a grey squirrel that had found its way into the elderly neighbor's basement, and had no intention of leaving. With the aid of a mop handle, I scared the squirrel out from behind the washer and my dad was ready for the emerging squirrel as it came out on the other side.

The other notable use of this product was the "downing" of a bat from the ceiling of a hunting shack, .45ACP Birdshot.

Cashcrews

cashcrews -

The permit is not a permit to carry Concealed....its a permit to carry. I work downtown duluth, in a "not so good" part of town, and often "open carry" between work and my vehicle. Often, a group (women) walk with me to where we park due to them not feeling good walking alone. Between the NUMEROUS sexual assaults, robberies, etc happening within a 6 block radius of Lake Ave and Superior Street i feel i will always continue to do it.

Hunting W your Permit:

MN Permit: It is ok to do. May carry loaded, unloaded, cased, or uncased, Pistol or long gun. Permit is also for "Dangerous Weapons" including Tazers, Machette, and knifes longer than 5" that you normally would not be allowed to carry (such as your buck knives to clean deer with).

ND Permit: HUGE No No to carry loaded in your vehicle while engaged in hunting activities. While not in the field, you are ok. Big difference between ND and MN is that ND don't allow you to carry anywhere liquor is sold, MN it is ok. (BAC must stay below .04)

WI Permit: Don't exist. WI will pass their "permit to carry" law once they boot Doyle out.

Long answer to short question...but...the permit is not designed, or created, to be used for hunting purposes, rather, its a perk for having it while hunting. It also bypasses the need to get a "permit to purchase" as your permit will act as one already.

Excerpts from DNR regs book:

Firearms Transportation

A person may not transport a firearm, including a handgun, in or

on a motor vehicle unless the firearm

is:

• unloaded* and cased;**

• unloaded* and in the closed trunk or rear of a motor vehicle; or

• carried under a valid permit to carry a pistol or handgun

The “Concealed carry or permit to carry” provisions apply to

certain hunting activities. Persons with a permit under this law generally

may carry their handguns uncased and loaded while hunting, and

while traveling to or from hunting locations by motor vehicle under

the hunting firearms transportation laws. However, possession of

the handgun while 'shining' or while hunting deer by archery would

still subject the possessor to the provisions of these laws (see page 32,

artificial

lights, for more info).

Cashcrews,

I was just recently looking for a squirrel target on which to pattern said bird shot. Do you know if Woods and Waters produces such a thing?

shedhunter