• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pitbull Next Door

Weed Shark

I'm looking for input about the pitbull next door to me. The property is now a rental propery and the tennants this past year have a pitbull. They've been very secretive, we hardly see the dog, which may be "chained downstairs." I told the landlord, who was clueless, and called me back reporting that they said it was a Golden Retriever. The yard is not fenced. The kids next door sometimes tie it up under the deck, which worries me because they may not secure it well. I have two 10 year-olds and a 7 year-old. Last night the dog was loose for the first time. I went out to check the dog out, since my kids were not home. It charged straight at me, but I think it was in playing mode with the kids next door. One of the kids says it bites, the other says it doesn't.

The neighbors never even say "hi." I'll probably talk to them, though that seems pointless. I suspect the dog may not be licensed with the city. I'm thinking of going to the city and checking, for all I know this dog has a bad history. Is there a way I can check that? Hate to get the neighbors ticked, but I need to protect my family.

Any other thoughts? Not much I can do, just a bad situation.

That's a tough one. I know there is no way I would want to live next to one of those things. Some people try to say they are okay but you hear about far more of those dogs biting and hurting people than any other breed.

I would check with the city and see if it is licensed. Try talking to the neighbor and see what they say about it. If they are unreceptive to you talking with them then I would call the police about your concerns with the dog. I would also mention that it did charge at you but you don't know if it was playing or serious and also mention one of the kids said that it does bite.

a bottle of sweet refreshing antifreeze "accadently" left outside with the cap off should do the trick wink.gif

haha, yeah i know... just joke'n bout the antifreeze, i would never do that to any dog, but in all seriousness i frickin hate those things, ive been charged by one that i know wanted to kill me, i would 4sure talk to the people next door, and the cops, how many kids and elderly people need to get mauled b4 they outlaw those things, i belive they should be treated like a pistol and the conceal/carry permits, you should have to pass a background check and take a class/pass a test to get a permit to own one, IMO

Rotts and Pit Bulls account for 50-60% of dog attack fatalities. About 25 people per year die from dog attack.

Roughly 5 million people per year are bitten by dogs, 800,000 need medical attention, and 1,000 ER visits per day from dog bite.

Wouldn't take any chance, As much as I love dogs, I hate Pitbulls. One minute they can be your best friend, the next ??? I would check with the city. Some cities have laws and restrictions in place already (ie. fenced in yard is required.) Good Luck. cool.gif

Would an upstanding "hero" of the community, that donates time and money to charities pass this so called background check? Perhaps an NFL football player. I think he would have. Also banning breed is not an answer, because it would never stop. Every few years the new most dangerous breed would be banned.

I'm sorry to hear you were attacked. You only have a few legal choices. Call the mayor, police and your county commish and file complaints. Put up a large fence or keep the kids inside.

If I ever came across a dog that even growled wrong at one of my children after attacking me, I think I would be able to tell you it's exact location for the rest of my life. It would be "He's right over there under that patch of sod." Right or Wrong, Legal or not, thats where he'd be.

CW

Take pictures of the dog and send the pics to the landlord. Make copies. Make sure the landlord knows that there is a pitbull in the house. Be on the look-out for more dogs.

Ask to see the dogs rabies vacc. tags. Might be an ordinance they are not in line with.

Be prepaired for a pitbull bite. The pitbull's owner should be, and you should be, too. Do some research. Their is a special way to do this. "breakstick" I think they call it. Or .22 or something...

I am a landlord. I am a pitbull/rottweiler mutt owner. It is terrible to hear about all the terribly raised pitbulls these days. They were once known as a very good dog.

Take Care!

Their is a story on the star trib right now about another pit bull mix attacking a 4 year old boy. I don't know what people are thinking when they own these things and keep them around young children.

I know Pitbulls are getting a very bad rap these days (all over the news, web, talk shows, etc.) and I certainly would not want one next door to my kids, but I have been bitten by more than one dog and none of them were pitbulls. Many dogs snap and bite kids due to tugging on ears, tail, hair, etc., but it is never seen as "mean and malicious" more "she didn't mean it, just don't do that again." My parents raised labs all my life and the dog that laid on my bed when I was 7 years old bit me when I was 10 because I moved her to get a pup out from under her.

I know pitbulls are violent dogs (mainly because of how they are raised) and this one obvioulsy has a potential to become aggresive (charging you), but don't judge until you get all the facts.

There was a thread started this winter about a stray dog/wolf hanging around someone's house (can't remember the login name) and I was the first one to say shoot it. Turns out she just needed some food, water and a little shelter and the next thing you know, the FM member was posting pictures of the dog on his couch.

It is a very tough situation and I don't envy you, but you should certainly check with the city, police and animal control for prior tickets and complaints and then take a proper course of action.

Just my $.02.......

I don't care what kind of dog it was if it came on my yard, showed it's teeth or made any negative movement towards me or my family it would have done it for the last time.

Weed Shark I do not envy your situation. I like dogs but I absolutely hate pit bulls. My mom and dad USED to have a pit bull. Why, I have no idea but they had one. They came to my place to visit and brought the darn thing with them. It WAS a nice dog, they say. It was barely out of their pickup when it charged me and attacked me, in my own backyard. After it was all said and done I told ma and pa to say good bye to thier dog cuz in aboot 7 seconds I'm shooting it. I did, it's dead, it WAS a nice dog, until it attacked me.

None the less, I think you should let the landlord know what is happening on his property. As difficult as it may be, you should also chat with the neighbors to let them know what happened and to explain it will NOT be tolerated. Also, I wouldn't wait. I'd make sure it's registered and licensed and that kind of good stuff. Most importantly, have a 22, a broom stick, and a louisville slugger at the ready.

Good luck to ya.

I do not envy your situation. I would certainly talk to the city and find out what options you have. I can't stand pit bulls personally. Outlawed? Hmmm... I've got big issues with bans and more laws already. But then again...

Yes, some may be "raised" properly and are just fine family dogs, but the fact is they were not and are not until recently bred to be "family" dogs. Of all the talk we have on this forum about breeding, genetics, traits, etc. I am sure there are responsible breeders, but IMHO this breed is out of control.

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear you were attacked.

CW

To be clear...I was NOT attacked.

This dog ran straight at me, standing in my yard at dusk. It veered off and looped past my wife when I said "no, no" (she wouldn't stay in). I think it was in play mode. The dog was loose and the neighbor kids had been playing with it, running away, screaming, but playing. It seemed like they were trying to socialize it (I know some of those kids are scared of it).

One thing that surprised me, it is amazingly fast. I almost didn't get to the aluminum bat that happened to be in the grass near me.

I heard about the 4 year-old attacked in Columbia Heights on Wednesday. You need a total lack of judgment to own this breed. Many will try to pass it off on bad owners (seemingly the only type to own a pit bull). Sorry…but it is a worthless breed. I just don’t recall any Springer spaniel stories where the dog pulls a kid down and kills them.

I heard some Minnesota legislator was trying to bring a ban on this breed; this was before the 8 year-old boy was killed in Minneapolis. Off-hand, this wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Not sure what the real effects of such a ban would be. I think there are other states with these types of bans. I would be curious to know how these have worked out.

I feel bad, my kids are afraid to play in their yard.

I appreciate all the advice and thoughts.

Quote:

One thing that surprised me, it is amazingly fast.

These dogs were bred for fighting and as they say, speed kills.

We're all entitled to our own opinion. I hate pit bulls but I don't want to see them banned. I'm for less government control but that discussion belongs on a different fourm.

It's terrible your kids are afraid. Talk to your neighbors. Let them know what is happening.

As luck, or unluck would have it - this morning on my daily walk with my 8 week old puppy - we walked by a house (three down from me) that we never walked by before.

A fricken pitbull chained up to a patio furniture set was going crazy. This thing started to pull the furniture towards the road towards me and my puppy.

Tonight I will have to tell the wife to be careful when she goes for a walk. Never thought I would have to carry when on a walk with my puppy (I have a CC permit).

I agree, there is power in numbers. Most people that have pitbulls have something wrong with them. Not all people but most do.

I would contact everyone in the neighborhood and the police, city council etc. Make everyone aware -- that would be a good start.

I don;t know what else to say short of putting up a fence. Find a nice officer that will talk with them about there concerns and if you have more problems they can remove the animal -- may want to check with city codes.

In our city an animal can be removed if it is considered to be dangerous. You have to go through a lot of hoops, but might be worth checking into.

Good luck and keep those kids close.

I have a neighbor that has 2 pitbulls.....he stated as he moved in that the dogs are nice and won't leave the yard but if someone comes into the yard he has no control on their initial reaction....he stated a story of a previous neighbors dog that his had killed....What an A#$ I thought....The thing the guy doesn't get is that there are children in the neighborhood and he has 2 kids and kids like to ask other kids to play and will show up to your house unannounced to play!!!! I have seen one of the dogs venture from the yard and if they put anyone in danger in the neighborhood I can guarunty they will end up being killed....They are a pointless breed of dog with alot of power and rage.....now there are alot of pointles dogs out there but do not kill....there are dogs out there that will bite, but the difference when a lab or springer or a little ankle biter bites you they are not trying to kill...most cases I would bet the dog bites and retreats...not like a pit bull that will attack and keep attacking until death!!!

I would contact the city admin., the police and see if it is registered and has all its shots. Then I would also may sure the landlord is aware that his rental has this pitbull. I would also remind him that since he is the owner of the property he also could be invovled in a nasty lawsuit if this dog attacked someone.

I understand your concerns. About all one can do is contact all the people you think can do something about this as the pitbulls history is not good. I dont know why with the history of this dog that any city would allow and license an animal like this.

I dislike the breed as well. My girlfriends' parents have two of them, and they are admittedly, great dogs. Granted, they're up there in age at 9 years, but are still very affectionate dogs. Granted, my girlfriend is 7 months pregnant. Do I trust these dogs around the baby once he arrives? One word: NO. Although we do hear about all the attacks that pits do participate in, I must say that pits aren't the number one breed as far as reported bites go. In actuality, Golden Retrievers hold the number one spot for reported bites. Hard to imagine, isn't it? If we're going to start banning breeds, why not looks at the bite statistics and start with the breeds that inflict the most bites? I know what I have said about Goldens will spark anger in a few. That is not my intention, but just to get the facts out. I love Goldens and know many, many very good, well behaved Goldens. However, I have a neighbor that has a Golden, and, whenever they went on vacation, they had us watch the dog. This dog was the most vicious dog I have ever seen, regardless of breed. It was so bad, that the owners had bolted it's food and water dish on a 2x6 board, and we had to slide the board in and out of the kennel to feed and water the dog, otherwise we would have been seriously bitten. Any time we entered the room, the dog would try to chew through the chain link fence. It got to the point where I would have a friend come with me with a pistol in case the dog got out. This dog has the will power, and straight power, to chew COMPLETELY chew through a solid oak door!!! This is a Golden Retriever, NOT A PIT!!!! What I'm getting at, is it might be individual dogs, not a breed. Like I said at the beginning, I don't like the breed, but I'm not going to push for a ban for the simple fact that I'm sure there's nice, friendly pits somewhere......on this earth....... where pigs are also flying.

This is going to sound really horrible, but I wish to retract my comment about feeling sorry for you. I guess I misunderstood the post. Now that I have reread it and looked between the lines, I have a totaly differant opinion.

Hope all goes well,remember you can always move.

CW

Quote:

This is going to sound really horrible, but I wish to retract my comment about feeling sorry for you. I guess I misunderstood the post. Now that I have reread it and looked between the lines, I have a totaly differant opinion.

Hope all goes well,remember you can always move.

CW

No reason for sympathy. Just interested in a conversation with dog knowledgeable people.

We've lived here 10 years. Kids have a lot of friends. Our neighbors get together to play volleyball every Tuesday night Memorial Day to Labor Day, the past 25 years. There's a DNR property and stream in back. A tom turkey fought his reflection in our sliding door. We watched a doe nurse a fawn just a few days ago on our lawn...not too interested in moving.

Quote:

I would contact the city admin., the police and see if it is registered and has all its shots. Then I would also may sure the landlord is aware that his rental has this pitbull. I would also remind him that since he is the owner of the property he also could be invovled in a nasty lawsuit if this dog attacked someone.

I could be the least likely person to sue anybody. But for leverage sake, would the landlord really be liable?

On Friday, I talked to the supervisor of the community service officers in Plymouth (turns out it's a guy I graduated from high school with), and he was checking into the licensing and past history of the dog.

Surely, most pit bulls never attack anybody. To this dogs credit it did not attack me the other night. I still don't trust it. Once when it was tied up I walked around the side of my house and thumped a bucket a couple times to see how it would react. It wasn't good, jolting to a stop only when it ran out of leash. The teenage daughter (the one who claims it doesn't bite) had a tone in her voice while talking to the dog that verified to me it is dangerous.

I have to believe my kids are the most likely victims. They love being outside. I should give them a talk about what to do and safe places, though I hate to scare them more. My view is, they should fear this dog but learn to live with their fears. I need to be out with the kids whenever they are playing.

Tough to fence in this yard and neither of us wants to. The kids could still be attacked shooting hoops in the driveway anyway.

I'm not saying you have to sue him but in todays world everyone is leary of liabillty lawsuits. No, I have no legal background but lawyers are alweays willing to include the property owner. He is the owner of the property and I would almost guarntee that he does have liabillity coverage in place.

Well, I’m thankful the dog passed the test the other night. I had to try, with me in the yard instead of my kids. It really would have been unfortunate to defend myself in front of the neighbor kids.

I feel sorry for this breed, which continues to endure the ugly and more careless side of our human race.

I will talk to the landlord as politely as I can. He does have the power to change this situation. A pit bull should not be in this type of neighborhood, full of children, with an unfenced yard.

Then, I plan to think about this less.

I can't believe the landlord is STILL getting the Golden Retriever story. He almost acts like he belives it (for all I know, he's the one making that part up).

Some people...just make me tired all over....

The nice doggy next door has passed your test. When you snuck up on it and thumped a bucket it reacted toward you. What did you expect, for it to bring you the newspaper?

The nice dog, like all other nice dogs, should be leashed or fenced at all times outside. Call animal control if you desire. That should get the neighbors to keep their nice doggy on a leash.

Good luck!

Man, what a tough situation WeedShark. As unfortunate as it is to you and your family, I am glad it is not me. Hang tough and use your head (I am sure you will). We would all hate to see you end up getting the bad end of the stick.

I love dogs, my wife loves dogs, and my kids love dogs. However, and my wife and I and our neighbors have discussed this, I don't think that dog would last in our neighborhood. I would have to race my neighbors to be the first one on the scene of its demise (humanely or otherwise). I hate meddling in other people's business, but pitbulls are just a fatality waiting to happen.

It's such a lousy situation, I hate to even think about it.