Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Scoot

Report from the North end of the Red River

Scoot

My dad, bro, and a couple buddies are fishing out of Stu's place on the Northern most section of the Red River right now. Reports from the last two days are that the fishing is "very good". My bro says the average fish is the biggest he's seen up there for this time of year. That's really saying something given that we've had several trips with the average fish being over 20 lbs. They didn't weigh all the fish, but he figured the average was between 22 and 23 lbs. He also said they've got a crap load of fish between 25 and 30 lbs. this trip- yeeeehhaa! They'll be back tonight sometime and I'll be sure to get some pics posted when I get them.

I wish I could have gone with, but we've got a baby due in 1 1/2 week, so I'm pretty land locked these days.

ivegottabite

Hopefully the bite will be going yet when I get up there in 2 weeks! Will be my first time trying for cats up at the Mecca! grin.gif Maybe I'll get a bonuse Greenie as well? shocked.gif

Scoot

Loren, your timing should be really good. I've heard rumors of some greenbacks trickling in, so maybe you'll stumble into one or two. You should also find some big ol' kitties too! About the only thing that could screw ya is weather. So cross your fingers and hold your breath. Good luck.

Here are the pics I promised.

First, here's a pic of some random fisherman on shore. Note his fishing rod- he caught that a baby on a fly! Very cool!

e7febee9.jpg

Here's my dad with a nice one.

e7febf53.jpg

Here's a buddy of ours, Merwin, with one that he wrestled in.

e7febe9e.jpg

Finally, here's my brother with a very large piggy.

e7febe62.jpg

The crew stayed at Cats on the Red. As usual, Stu took really good care of them.

hadanooner

Did they get most of their fish up by the lock? I am heading up today,. Loren when are you going north? I cant wait. Nooner

Ed Carlson

Nooner I will be up North the first week on Sept, if your in the area we should hit dsome Kittys.

I may run up as early as Sunday if I am off.

The word is the first mile has been hot. Kermits and cuts are on the menue for sumo's.

Scoot

Yep, what Ed said. Most of their fish came from the lock area. They went a few miles downstream, but it wasn't quite as good as by the lock.

ivegottabite

Quote:

Loren... About the only thing that could screw ya is weather. So cross your fingers and hold your breath. Good luck.

Scoot, you just had to bring that up didn't you crazy.gif It seems on longer trips I tend to carry weather, that isn't like by others, with me. The river hasn't been as bad as lakes though, so there is hope!

Dom,Can't wait to hear a report and see some pics from your trip! Oh, I'll be up the 7th-9th.

Ed, maybe we'll see you up there if you're still up there by the end of the week.

Good luck to all as I am pumped to make my trip up there for some kitties! Those fish, especially the last one look nice and plump! grin.gif

hadanooner

give me a call ed, i think i have the entire week off so i could possibly run up for another trip north of the border. Nooner

hadanooner

All right boys just got back from the mighty red of the north. Once again the magical powers of this river continues to mystify me. The river seems to get better each time i head up there. The sumos were huge huge huge this year. In basically one day of fishing we landed 22 cats. 6 of them were over 25 pounds. we had two under 20 pounds. It was truly magical. Each one of us had a fish over 27 pounds. The biggest of the weekend was hauled in by nooner himself. I have a 30 pound boga grip, which is tested to be accurate every year and this baby bottomed it out. I will try to attach the picture of it. Kermies ruled the bait selection. a few fish were caught on fresh suckers also. Our biggest fish came north wards of the (Contact Us Please). Stu i would like to thank you again for the amazing time you once again supplied this minnesota boy with. Cant wait to get up there and see you in october again. Her kitty kitty. Nooner

hadanooner

ok i have no idea how to attach pictures. cant they make this easier on us stupid fisherman? Can anyone help me? Nooner

hanson

Quote:

ok i have no idea how to attach pictures. cant they make this easier on us stupid fisherman? Can anyone help me? Nooner

Can you e-mail them to me? My address is in my signature.

I'll get them up.

hanson

Here's Nooner's 38" length, 30" girth, bottomed the 30lb Boga Grip out Red River of the North Channel Cat!

That's a piggie!!

noonersrr30lbcu1.jpg

Scoot

Great pic! Awesome fish!!!

Thanks for posting them, Chris... I woulda got it done, but hadn't seen the post yet. You're too fast for me!

Catmendo

First of all I want to thank you Nooner for stopping by and visiting the Lower Red, I'm glad you enjoyed some success. I also want to thank both Scoot and Chris for your efforts in promoting this amazing fishery. I am confident that in time many will also thank you for your efforts!

Hillbilly40

HOlY BALLS, THATS A BIG KITTIE

Ed Carlson

Yup...that's about all I can take..Got me some Kirmits and I'm on my way to feed them to Stu's pets.

I look forwerd to a sore everything by the end of this week, a good Kitty Whoop'n would do me some good.

See ya soon Stu and crew.

Nice fish Noonr.....Got you some real Kitty Lov'n there Eh. wink.gif

Warrior123

We are planning our first trip ever to the Red. Where can i purchase bait and what kind should i buy?

Thanks

Scoot

Lyle, where are you going?... What section of the Red?

DKL

We are going to Lockport - we are hoping to stay for 2 days. I would assume that we would fish near the dam or somewhere close by that area.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Lyle

Scoot

I can give you tons of tips or I can give you one good tip- stay at Stu's and talk with him. Stu (at Cats on the Red) will set you straight and be sure you're armed with the correct info and bait.

That said, here's what I'd suggest- go up there with heavy duty rigs- strong rods with 50+ lb line. Two types of rigs work best for us: slip rigs (lindy type rig) with no roll sinkers or slip bobbers. Slip bobbers are a little tougher, so you may want to start with slip rigs first. As for bait- frogs and cutbait should be the ticket. Frogs- bring across the border frozen or catch them up there. Cutbait- bring worms and catch goldeyes and/or beg Stu for some Tulibee- they work great in Sep. Fish immediately below the dam, or in the first few miles of the dam- you should find fish. Careful up by the dam- there's shallow water and rocks.

Good luck!

DKL

Thanks for the great info ! I may need to think bigger than our walleye rigs when it comes to rods and tackle.

Thanks again.

Lyle

hanson

Quote:

I may need to think bigger than our walleye rigs when it comes to rods and tackle.

I would think muskie tackle or heavier. grin.gif

Scoot

Yep, like hanson said. I know a couple guys who went up there a few years ago with thier walleye rigs (despite my dad's warnings). After they snapped their third rod they went shopping for heavier gear.

fiskyknut

Nice fish Rasta man!!!

hadanooner

hey thanks Fisky. Yes you definetly need bigger gear than walleye stuff. Not only are the fish brutes they know how to use that current and they definetly dont like to see a boat when they surface. Cant wait to run north and chase some greenbacks soon. Nooner