• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2007 Deer & Bear Pictures

harvey lee

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• snoozebutton

• sticknstring

• maros91

Well I arrowed my first deer of the year tonight. A nice healthy doe. I work in Cambridge and live in Milaca and on the way home tonight I asked a farmer if I could hunt his property. He said he had a couple of guys in there and I could try it out for the night. He told me right were to go. Park by the big oak and there is a hiking trail that goes through the woods and ends at a nasty swamp. I took the trail all the way to the swamp, found were there was a heavy trail coming out of the swamp into the woods and set up shop there. At 6:00 I heard water splashing and 15 minutes later she presented me with a 15 yard broadside shot. I took the shot and she ran back into the swamp about 40 yards and tipped over. Even though it was only 40 yards it seemed like 200 with water up to my knees and thick brush. It was well worth it though. I took the deer back to the landowner and offered him some of the deer but he declined. We ended up BS ing for 45 minutes. I couldn't tell ya how many times I thanked him for the oppurtunity. After talking to him he said I could hunt there any time I want. Always treat the landowner with respect and stop by and shoot the breeze a little.

Biff that is a great story. Do you play for Frantown? If so I am sure it was easy to shoot the breeze for ya, I play for OSC!!

Biff, how do you just go up to a farmer on your way home and ask for permission to hunt his land and get the ok on the spot???!! I have asked over 30 farmers if I could hunt their land in exchange for help with repairing fences, etc. and I always get the "no thanks". I am a respectful and courteous individual also, so I just don't know what to do to get permission on some private land. Not to mention, I always tell them that I will not harvest whatever deer they do not want taken off the property. Maybe it's just because I am younger and they look at me like I am just another "punk" who is going to leave litter on their property or hunt irresponsibly! Either way, you are one lucky guy to get permission out of the blue like that!! Nice job on the doe, dragging through water sure does suck too. In the end, it makes that deer more of a prize though. wink.gif

GoggleEye

GoogleEye,

If they say no, I sometimes ask if they know anyone else I could ask for permission. That usually works too.

This year I have asked about 20 landowners if I could hunt and they all had the same answer, I already have a couple guys hunting or my grandkids hunt this piece. So this year I am 1 for 20. I needed a new place because the landowner on my other spot is letting everyone in there. So I needed to move. I just go up knock on the door and tell them I am looking for a place to bowhunt this fall and if they let me I always offer some of the deer to them if I get one. A little BS time ouside of the hunting season never hurts either. Also I always drop a little Christmas card off too when the holidays approach just to tell them thanks. It might sound a little overboard but it works. I just got lucky on this one when he told me yes and I end up harvesting a doe about 2 hours after I talk to him. Just be polite and courteous like you are and the right landowner will let you in.

Quote:

Do you play for Frantown? If so I am sure it was easy to shoot the breeze for ya, I play for OSC!!

Yeah I play for Franny. That is me in the picture. There are 4 to 5 guys on our team that are mouthy and I am not one of them. These guys are the one that give our team a bad name.

We had a good game with you guys last year. I will contact Auger and try this year to get a game at your park.

As for the Arlington cat, you guys throw a great tourney and I am sure I have ran into you late in the night when everyone is having a couple. See you in the tourney next year!!

I know I've talked to you. Your Jake right? Nice win against Elko. As for Frummy....You know me well. We have had many beers together during the tourney. Good luck the rest of the way with the deer. I've only been out twice this yr. which is driving me nuts. I've usually had a dozen nights on stand by this time any other yr. , but kids and a part time job after work has slowed my bow hunting down.

if jake is talking late at night with a few adult bevs in his tank he won't remeber what happened!!! blush.gifgrin.gif but he seems to be a happy guy at that point.......remember the COW BELL!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif everytime I hear the cowbell in a song I just start laughing!!! grin.gif

Jake you guys do talk quite a bit, but I think it is all fun and games and get a kick of you guys. Doser and Jake see you at the Miller Invite and hopefully we can share some stories about our recent kills!!

Can we get back to the topic of the post please? Everytime I log on and see a new post I'm expecting a deer not "bull". Thanks!

I am the guy that shot this deer I wanted to up load some more pictures. But I cann't figure out how to on this web site yet. I also wanted to give the score on him. He scored 194 nontypical green score. This deer will go before a panel of scores after his 60 day dring period

Anybody decide to bowhunt this hot weekend? I think I will try tonight(Sunday) if those storms pass through early enough.

My 2007 buck shot near Houston, MN on private land October, 5th 2007. We have done a lot of habitat work and over the past 3 years on the farm we hunt and restricted it to bow only. I cannot say enough about passing up small bucks to let them grow and shooting plenty of does! It is the first nice buck we have shot since begining to hunt the farm 3 falls ago. We are finally seeing many more quality bucks because of our efforts. I cannot thank the land owner and the guys I work/hunt with on the property enough...they have become some of my best buds.

He is a 5.5 year old (aged with the teeth) 9 pointer that has yet to be scored. Not that it matters...it is a trophy in my book any day of the week.

Deer3.jpg

Deer2.jpg

Deer1.jpg

huntergene, we would like to see more pictures, welcome to the website, its a great place to spend some time. There are few different ways to download pics to the website. Do a search on this sight for downloading pics and you will get step by step instructions. The main thing is that you have to upload your photos to a photo sharing sight like Photobucket. Then when you post an image, put the link for the picture from the photobucket website. Good luck, great buck.

Hey huntergene,

How have ya been? Haven't talked to ya since we bear hunted with you guys about 5 years ago now. (the group from New Ulm) That was a dandy ya shot there. Your dad has been keeping me up to speed with you guys. I'd like to get up there and see you guys again sometime.

Talk to ya later.

DL

Knute 78

Very nice photo. No blood, no incision showing where you gutted the deer and the tounge is not hanging out. I love the picture the way it is posed and the scene is set. Is the bow you were using a Legacy?

Almost forgot, very nice deer.

Very nice buck! My dad and I have also been applying QDM in our area the past few years. It DOES make a difference. We are starting to see a number of good bucks instead of the one or two we used to see. Now if we can convince the neighbors to go along with that plan we'll have a nice population of nice bucks around in a couple years.

Quote:

Knute 78

Very nice photo. No blood, no incision showing where you gutted the deer and the tounge is not hanging out. I love the picture the way it is posed and the scene is set. Is the bow you were using a Legacy?

Almost forgot, very nice deer.

Yes Great deer!! I think that he is shooting a XT

Awesome Buck Knute! Also a great story and lesson on QDM. I grew up in Hokah (just east of Houston) and that is where I still hunt. I'd love to pick your brain on what types of things you've done with the property. My buds and I are starting to really focus on that ourselves. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd be interrested in sharing some of your Land Management strategies.

Thanks!

cupper

[email protected]

That is a super deer, and you did fantastic job on the pics, that is without a doubt one of the best set of pics Ive seen on this site- congrats

Well thanks guys! I appreciate all the nice comments. One of my buddies who has shot decent deer in the past told me to work hard on the pics and take plently of them for memories. He regreted not taking the time to "set up" the shots, clean up the deer, and pose his deer. He said his pics didn't turn out well at all and wishes he had more photos. We had to work pretty quick though...if you recall it was hot as Heck on Friday evening!

Nobody got the bow right though! It's the Drenalin...I shot the XT last year and loved it but since I have a few buds at Archery Country in St.Cloud...I upgrade each year now if the $$$ is there. I will always stick with Mathews now...I have a good back the truck over the bow story! Pretty much got a new bow at no charge in Sparta...I cannot say enough about Mathews!

Thanks again guys!

Knute, great deer! One more tine on the right side and that deer would be flawless! Nice big heavy deer too, what did that brute weigh in at?

I work with Jake and Brandon. Brandon is my bosses cousin. I cannot say enough about those guys...very knowledgeable guys.

The deer hit the scale at 200lbs field dressed on the locker scale...so maybe 250-70 lbs I'd guess. I think they say the live weight is about 30-40% more than the dressed.

What a trophy Knute. Good work on putting in the time to do the dirty work as well, and passing on the smaller bucks. You've got what sounds like a fairly rare situation in being able to restrict the hunting ground to bow-only, and I think it's paying off.

Joel

Deer #1 for the 2007 season. Watched this deer for almost 15 minutes as she was working her way towards me. I thought I was going to have to shoot her at about 40 yards, but to my surprise, she turned and started walking right at me. Shot her at about 20 yards. Not exactly the shot placement I wanted, but she only made it about 40 yards even with a shot that was a bit back. I think I fired a bit quick after waiting so long for her to come in. Gotta remember on the next one to take more time with the shot placement...

2007_Doe_1.jpg