• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2007 Deer & Bear Pictures

harvey lee

Here we go, place your photo's here for this years harvest. Good luck and have a safe hunt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• snoozebutton

• sticknstring

• maros91

I think the warmer temps has probably slowed down the bears and turned them pretty nocturnal. I shot a doe last weekend but didnt photo it. I was too busy cleaning and skinning the deer due to the temps.

On behalf of Eyeguy54 here on FM, here is his buck and his buddies from ND last weekend.

eg.jpg

Those are really nice bucks, but there is just something about the large neck of a rutting buck that gets me pumped. I dont think I could take a buck with a super skinny neck. But then again, maybe I would feel different in the moment. Very Very nice deer though fellas.

nice bucks, heading to ND on the 15th for a week. badlands area for muleys or whitetails, any suggestions from anyone thats hunted that area would be great. thanks

I'm hunting rosebud indian res the end of this month, I'll let you know how I do. grin.gif

I asked the same questions, and got no response...(crickets chirping)...

Good luck!

nice calm cold morning. got in stand oh around 5:45-6, yeah i know got a late start. couldn't sleep much last night and when i did fall asleep it was a little hard to wake up. anyhow, had mom set up about 200 or so plus yards away and by the time i got settled in and quiet, get my mask on i sat for about 20 minutes and herd the loudest noise i have ever heard, then mom calls and said she shot one. turns out that the noise i heard was her arrow breaking through the shoulder blade. i never even got time to see a deer this morning. well, my turn is this evening. good luck everyone.

figured i would pop in and report the morning...

I shot this doe at about 7 this morning. She came with another doe and 3 fawns and a 4 pointer.

heres a pic of here couple days ago.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=172738415/PictureID=3829555250/a=103591650_103591650/t_=103591650

heres the picture after 7 this morning!

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=172738415/PictureID=3829555250/a=103591650_103591650/t_=103591650

i shot this big guy opening day at 7:15 p.m........ i still havent found him frown.gif

twig08.24001.jpg

i looked from 7:45 until midnight on sat. and from 7:00 am to 7: p.m. on sunday. i think the only way i am going to find him now is looking for the crows....... this sucks!!!

Where do you think you hit him and what color blood did he drop? Also, how soon did you push him?

What was on the arrow as far as blood or matter? Any hair on the arrow and if so, what color? One might be able to tell what happened if you know the answers to these questions.

i didnt find any blo0d, the arrow didnt exit. i shot him facing me down through the shoulder blades at 10 yards. at the time i thought with the angle i was going to hit lung and liver but looking at the trailcam pic im pretty sure i hit liver and guts. i still havent found him but i heard some crows about 400 yards straight south of my stand so im going there tomorrow after work. i should have thought it through a little better. i just got to worried he was going to spook since he was smelling my pee. well the best i can hope for now is that the birds and coyotes have left the head and neck alone. frown.gif

From what you have said, the shot was a very low percentage shot. I would guess that the deer will run off for a long distance and probbaly die. If you did shoot him throught the mid section and the guts, check out the closest water source as they will travel to water when hit in the guts.

I'm not judging you but, I would wait next time and take a higher percentage shot or let the deer pass. WE as hunters need to choose our shots carefully to make sure they will be a high percentage killing shot. There was a post in regards to this type of shot and many agreed that this shot should be bypassed.

I guess it a live and learn situation and hopefully you will be able to find this deer.

Good luck.

That does suck, I took the same kind of shot once, however with a different outcome, I happened to thread the arrow right behind the shoulder blades and got a pass through and the deer went 40 yards. Looking back I know I should have passed on it as well. I think the only time I will shoot down is if the deer is walking away leaving me much better exposure to the vitals. Facing you there is just too much in the way of the vitals, unless you happen to hit the spine.

It's too bad but it happens. It's happened to pretty much all of us at one time or another. Hopefully you recover what is left.

Well after a couple of days of trying to figure out how to get pictures off of my phone, I am ready to tell my story grin.gif

Opening morning was crisp and there was very little breeze at all. I walked out to my stand, tyring to be quite and aware of what I may be touching, didn't want to leave a scent trail where I went. I climbed into the stand got settled, and waited for day light to come.

I had read in the "Archery Tip of the Week" thread about taking an apple along to eat to mask a persons breath, so I took a couple bites and continued to wait. It was quite cold, and I was a little underdressed, but I hunkered down and kept a keen eye on the woods and adjacent corn field.

The sun was coming up over the rise to the east and the warmth was welcome. I was much more comfortable now, but still no sign of any deer.

At about 7:30 that all started to change. Out of seemingly no where a nice six point buck shows up on the edge of the corn field. Takes a minute or so poking around and then heads right down the trail past my stand. I knew is was not a shooter, but nice to see one and get the blood pumping. He walked passed me and finally directly downwind, and I was a bit anxious as to what he reaction would be. Nothing. He had no idea I was there, and just continued milling about in the general area.

About two minutes later a fawn pops out of the corn field and walks right passed me also. It still had spots, and was pretty cool to see. By this time I am getting pretty jazzed up and now the woods and corn have my full attention. A few minutes later I notice an ear flicker in the corn, and I stay focused only to see another fawn pop out. It also had spots, and I am guessing twins. This one milled around for a bit, and continues down the trail past my stand. So now I have three deer milling about all within sight. I am starting to think that there are a lot of eyes in the woods grin.gif

Just a few minutes later another six pointer comes down the edge of the corn field and continues down the edge next to the woods. Just a minute or so later a small buck with a fork on one side and a spike on the other comes down the same path. The cool thing about this one was that it still had some raggedy velvet hanging of his little antlers and they were still all red and bloody looking. He went right down the edge of the corn after that other six pointer. I really didn't think much of it, but about 30 seconds later I heard the two of them knocking antlers. Pretty cool to see. They did that for a minute or so and then the six pointer slipped into the woods, and the forkhorn walked passed me again. Now there are five deer that are all within 25-60 yards away from me, and now there are a lot of eyes in the woods!!

Well all this commotion has taking about 25 minutes or so, and none of these deer seem to be in the mood to move on, so I decide that I need to finish my apple. I start crunch away at it and they really seem to have no care in the world, or any idea that I am there.

One of the fawns decided to walk back towards me as I am crunching away on my apple and walks directly under my stand. I think it actually walked between the ladder and the tree, not sure, but the path that it was on sure seemed like it would have had to be that close. It continues by me and gets to the edge of the field and then turns around and heads back from where it came. I have now finished my apple and drop the core to the ground. I thought maybe that that would get a rise out of maybe one of the five deer that I can still see, but to no avail.

Gradually they all continue to move on and over the next 5-10 minuts or so they have all gotten out of sight. I am seriously thinking about heading for the cabin, as now I am about frozen. I stood up in the stand to get a better view, and to see if I could spot any of the five, when from behind me I hear something.

The sound was a small 8 pointer that had just jumped over an old fence on the edge of the woods and some CRP and he was followed by two more bucks. They were coming down the woodline, and I could not get a good look at them until they hopped into the woods. The second one hopped in and he was a nice buck, a shooter even, but I had time to wait for the third buck. When he jumped over I knew I had my chance at a trophy. They were aobut 20-25 yards behind me so I had the protection of the tree to be able to move around and get myself in position for the shot. There was a small shooting lane, and that was where my focus was now at.

I watched intently as the first buck stepped through the lane, and exactly how it was traveling. Straight across the lane, affording me a beautiful broadside shot. The next buck was not far behind, and he followed the same path directly across the shooting lane, affording me yet another great opportunity, but number three was the one I was waiting for. Number three steps into the lane, and I give out a whistle. Not sure why, I think it was some genetic, ancestral thing, but the buck actually looked the other way. I am not much of a whistler, and maybe he didn't even hear me. I was already at full draw and my pin was right on its vital so I pulled the trigger. Now that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen or done in my life. It almost seemed to be in slow motion. I saw the arrow hit right where I had aimed. The buck hunched up and then took off like a shot!! grin.gif

I knew I had put a good shot on it, but I lost site if it just a few yards after I shot. I heard a couple crashes and then nothing. Then it all settled in, I was extremly calm during their approach and during the shot, and I think seeing all the deer earlier in the morning had help with me nerves, but after I shot I was a wreck. Between all the excitement and being a bit cold, I was shivering uncontrollably!! grin.gif The excitement was unbelievable!!

I waited about a half of an hour and walked back to the cabin. I had to walk pass where I shot him and saw the blood trail. It looked very good. At the cabin I met up with my buddy and I told to whole story to him. He was amazed and excited also. He had not seen anything all morning.

We heading out to find him about a half hour later, and after just a few minutes of walking down the blood trail, there he laid. It was an incredible hunt and this was also my first bow kill ever!! I am just amazed at how vivid the whole situation is in my mind, I will never forget this hunt.

First Bow Deer Ever

bigbuck.jpg

Good luck to everyone during the rest of the season!!!