• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Things you can learn on a walk

I was out for a walk with the kids around a local lake and learned a few things by watching other fisherman in action.

1) A six inch blaze orange devil dog is best fished with a bobber positioned about 8" above the lure. Just throw it out and something is bound to hit a big stick bait just sitting there motionless.

2) Those big white catfish rods with the even bigger spinning reels can double for stunted bluegill rods. Once you get the 30 lb mono through the eye of the smaller hook, you're set to land all the minnows sized pannies you can handle.

3) Apparently, if a guy can catch enough 4" bluegills, he can get a decent meal out of them.

4) The bigger the bobber, the more fish you must catch. Don't choose a light action bobber when a tarpon sized weighted bobber will do the job nicely. Remember, a fiserman is judged by the size of his bobber. The fish never really take it under, I think you just look for the ripple when the fish sucks in that waxie.

Those are the four lessons I learned recently. Does anyone else have any new and seldom used "Sneaky Pete" tactics that they have witnessed?

I think some of those tactics will work ALMOST as mush as the 2 oz daredevil spoon under a bobber. I seen that and I almost wet myself laughing.

You forgot one "sneaky pete tactic"... If you bring the hole family you can keep a limit for all of them! Even if they can't walk yet!

Gotta love the bass spinner baits under a bobber. Or just the big 3-4 inch power worm under a musky sized bobber going for 3-4 inch sunfish.

I would say the 1/2 oz. jighead with crappie candy on it, fished in 3' of water is my best lesson. Sure, you can get weeds sometimes, but then again, you can get more weeds and they bend a pole don't they? smile.gif

I think I saw that group that SFboy was talking about. When they were rigging up to start fishing they just had the seal toss them their bobber with his nose.

I've learned that the best bait for "trout" in warm iowa catfish lakes is a Mepps spinner with three swivels and a bell sinker suspended below a tennis ball sized red and white...Oh yeah, its all gotta be flung out with a surf casting rod loaded up with 45 pound Shakespear line...

Gee, who could we be talking about?

Also lining the shore down in Whitewater with all 20 family members so they can drain the streams of everything that swims.

I WAS NOT IMPLYING ANYTHING ABOUT ANY SPECIFIC GROUP OF PEOPLE AND I AM SORRY IF IT WAS TAKEN THAT WAY. I JUST FIND IT KINDA FUNNY WHEN I SEE PEOPLE THAT ARE DOING WHAT I THINK TO BE REALLY SILLY ON THE WATER. LIKE THROWING A 10" REEF HAWG WITH AN ULTRA LITE SET UP.

It seems Ive been fishing scum frogs wrong. They are best fished on ultralight spinning combos with 6lb line.

Regardless of what you are fishing for ALWAYS use a thick black leader!

SFBOY,

Starting a post like this, will provoke all kinds of responses. I thought your post was funny (Ha, Ha kind of funny). grin.gif

I have seen many types of fisherman using your stated tactics. White, black, Asian, Mexican and some others.

I would not be offended if I were you and you did not offend anyone as far as what I can see.

Taker easy man, life is to short

cool.gif

I've been on the flip side of this equation.

An older gentleman once let me know that I was an "(Contact Us Please)" for releasing northern "'cause they'll never eat again once they been stuck with a hook. May as well keep 'em." smirk.gif

I think it is comical as well. People can say what they want, but I don't care who you are...that's funny right there! I've seen all kinds as well. Seen a guy casting with a bobber, the guy just kept casting and casting and casting........it worth a belly laugh or two on numerous occasions! grin.gif

I think that's very funny about the northerns. I had a northern break my line off once and I caught him 10 minutes later with my lure still in his mouth.

you also have to love the pork rind on a plain hook positioned beneath a tennis ball red and white and attached to a leader. what were we fishing for?

another thing learned while on a walk.... You can catch a limit of panfish a lot quicker from shore than from a boat. And if you're lucky enough to have a boat, it is totally feasible to get at least 6 adults into a 14 foot aluminum boat and still fish comfortably.

I have a couple....50 pound test mono, a big red and white bobber the size of a tennis ball, set about 8 inches above a kinkied up 240 pound test leader, a 1 ounce rubber core sinker and a number 10 hook with a worm threaded on it! grin.gif

I seen this one little fella come down to the Brooklyn Center, west side of the river, with an outfit that could have landed a good sized Great White Shark....gobs on some chicken liver, winds up and lets fly, I bet at the apex, the dude was 6 inches off the ground!

Somehow the 100 pound test mono he was using, snarled and when the two huge hex nuts he was using for a sinker, reach the end, that line blasted apart and sounded like a 30-06 going off!

I bet his terminal gear landed on top of the Wicks Furniture store on the east river road side of the river...it was great! grin.gif

Last April I was fishing on Minnetonka and was thinking about keeping a 10 pound carp for the smoker, so I had it laying on the shore next to me. A walker saw the carp and identified it as a musky and then informed me of the potential consequences of fishing for and keeping muskies out of season

Not personally offended, I just didnt want this to go the wrong direction unintentionally because somebody might see this as a way to backhand certain people. Life IS too short and there are wayyyyyy too many laughs out there that dont get shared with everyone. Keep it coming, I love reading great stuff that has been posted. smile.gif

remember being a little tike? Well, my mom grounded me when i was like 6 years old. My punishment, took the ol' zebco 202 combo away from me. Anyhow, i still pedaled the one speed down to the neighboring bridge with my tacklebox in hand. Went down in the ditch, broke off a twig, tied on some of that good 30 lb test line off the spool, ya know the stuff that looked like a stretched out spring, tied on a hook, and still layed into the river chubs. So seeing others doing it to this day makes me chuckle remembering the day i was rid of my rod for shooting acorns at my younger brothers with the slingshot her dad gave me grin.gif

Quote:

CarpFisher thats a good one at least they knew the rules
crazy.gifgrin.gif

Yeah it was sort of funny that the guy new the season regulations but couldn't identify the species. And to top it off while he was explaining the musky regs to me a big carp flopped out of the water with the obvious golden hue with fins...he yelled out "Did you see the size of that pike !?!" I tried to explain the difference between between a pike, muskie, and carp, but he didn't seem to listen. Oh well, atleast the guy understood seasons... crazy.gif

Same applies for hunting fellas.

I heard a guy at Walmart (HAHA) who asked for a 12 gauge and specifically said "NO KICK". Ahh yea good luck with that one sir!

Also If there are BUSHY TAIL (I don't know about you guys but I like to call them squirrels) anywhere (Most of the time during deer bow hunting season) you can shoot at them anywhere with a .22. Oh yea when they shoot at the so called "Bushy Tail" with the .22 they don't care if you are in the same tree as "BUSHY TAIL"

Still fishing is no longer still....I have never seen bobbers go out and be retrieved so fast as they are nowadays. It seems that the second they hit the water they are being retrieved. It don't matter what the bait is or the size or shape of the bobber. The big baskeball size ones do make nice ornaments on high wires and tree branches though. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thats funny cause when I bring my girlfriends 2 yr old fishing I cast out the line with bobber and she reels it in... I spend most of the time casting for her cause she wont let it just sit but she still gets the sunnies

I had the pleasure of fishing with an old timer from the Bemidji Area last week. I learned from him that an enormous rusty jig should be used to catch any species of fish. To fish it properly, just let it drag on the bottom while you drift. Do not tip the jig with live bait. Reel up occasionally to remove weeds/scum/debris.

Quote:

I spend most of the time casting for her cause she wont let it just sit but she still gets the sunnies

Yeah, the kids want action! I just took my 5 year old nephew carp fishing on a small river & he couldn't let that line sit. No matter how many times I told him to wait for a bite, he couldn't control himself. He had to reel that line in. It can make for a long day but it's fun!

I was fishing the St. Croix one day for white bass & was outfished bad by a guy throwing a big round bobber with a green floating rapala behind it. He'd throw it out & crank it right back in. I've seen a lot of this over the years. One day a guy with a goofy rig & technique will hit the jackpot and you have to figure out why it's working. Funny stuff!