Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Early To Think Ice Fishing, But...

14 posts in this topic

I know this is way early to be asking, but I have it on my mind now, so...during a typical winter is the ice driveable by dec. 26th/27th/28th (last weekend of this year)? That could be my only chance to hit the area and I'm really hoping it can pan out.

yes you should be able to drive maybe not pulling a heavy trailer but that is definatly not out of the ? either....but odds are you should be able to drive a vehicle...

It's never too early to think about ice fishing! Typically the ice is drivable by that time, you just never know what the weather gods are going to throw our way. Just looked up my notes from last winter and on December 27th there was 16" of ice on Upper Red, and snow had melted but under the drifts there were thinner spots so the access owners were recommending 1/2 ton trucks or less and keeping the bigger skid houses off. But then a few years ago (03') on December 4th there was 12-13" of ice, but that was an early year as we had folks up here walking out on 8-10" of ice on Thanksgiving weekend.

I drive a GMC SUV. I'd probably drive up there with a trailer, but wouldn't need to take it out on the ice. Would just be fishing out of a portable...so I guess as long as it's a normal winter I should be OK then. Any recommendations as to where I should launch out of then?

I would head out of Hillmans. Stop in, get some bait, and they will point you in the right direction. Those are dates that I am usually up there too grin.gif, right after Christmas. Good luck!

That's about the time I was there last year I drove a F150 pulling an 8x27 ice castle that weights in 5600 lb with out a porblem and yes there was some thiner spots under drifts of snow one place would be 16 5 feet over it would be 12. Oh how I can wait for ice fishing this year!!!!!! I will be there around the same time this year soon as we have safe ice I will be there had a blast out there last year.

Its never too early to think Ice Fishing on URL, or maybe it is... or maybe its not... oh well.

Hillman's gets my tip of the hat for an access location. The roads are great, the info is spot on, and they'll get you going in the right direction.

I hope this pans out for me...90% of my proposed trips have fell through so far this year, and being that's a holiday weekend anything could happen. Everybody keep your fingers crossed for me, ok? crazy.gif

You should be ok JB. I have been goin up that week for the last couple of years and have had pretty good luck. Wish for ice!! Good luck and let us know how you do! grin.gif

Uffda, it is August and you guys are already sharpening the auger and installing extensions.

As for ice we normaly shoot for x-mas day to run the houses out on the ice, and we tread lightly at that. Some years we go earlier and some years later. It all depends on how the lake froze up, temps and amount of snow in December. It is always a scary time as many eager angler march out onto early ice in December, Red will open up and eat your wheeler or truck without warning early season and some just won't respect that.

Jonnys right, Last year I was sitting on the ice fishing on the last weekend of deer season. But this year can be totally different. All I know is that there won't be a pressure ridge to work on this year, it's our year off. We'll put out another for the following year though.!!

Arcticcat,

I was just with Jon and Kelly this past weekend. Their pressure ridge is in the shop right now. With all the other repairs needing to be completed on the farming equipment yet this fall, they might not get their 'ridge' ready to get out on the lake either! I looked at the blueprints Jon drew up to modify it and boy if he can make some time to rig it up the way he wants and get it out on the ice, WATCH OUT! cause it's gonna be a doozy!!! grin.gifblush.gif Kelly's gonna need his new tractor just to be able to drag the dang thing out there!

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:

It is always a scary time as many eager angler march out onto early ice in December, Red will open up and eat your wheeler or truck without warning early season and some just won't respect that.

This last winter it even tried eating a few in mid February. Bring back any memories Jon? wink.gif

Quote:

This last winter it even tried eating a few in mid February. Bring back any memories Jon?
wink.gif

I'd have paid money to see that. Wait, I did, or maybe not, but I saw the picture. Ouch! grin.gif