• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

weirdest bait

LeRoy_Metz

what is the weirdest thing you have tryed for bait.i think the weirdest thing i have tried was a french fry.

Dentyne gum, worked for perch in a small lake near my aunt and uncles place near Montello, WI. Many moons ago!

I used chicken nuggets from BK once in Key West. I actually caught a few fish...not sure what they were but it worked so long as I could keep it on the hook.

I Texas rigged a sour gummy worm on a bet and caught a bass on the end of this beautiful, weed covered point.

Funny to see a bass pucker....

tongue.gif

Hot dogs - for dogfish when I was a kid. Hey it worked

Some spicy meat stick chunks for carp/catfish. I didn't think I would get bit, then my rod almost flew in the water. Again a kid fishn with my dad on the banks of the sippi.

Mine would either be a Hot Tamale candy or a bare hook. The sunnies on the end of our dock were dumb.

10 days ago, my kids used chewed teriyaki beef jerky (spitting small amounts out) to lure sunfish under a fishing pier close enough to net with butterfly nets. They caught several and let them all go.

I caught a crappie, as a kid, on a piece of bacon with a weed tail.

Not me personally, but the late, great Otis "Toad" Smith of In-Fisherman catfishing fame used a piece of his own heart as catfish bait. The piece was taken from him during surgery and he decided to apply it to something worthwhile. Caught an 8 pounder, I believe, with it.

My best friend landed a 7lb walleye on a piece of beef jerky on a spinner rig. Used jokingly because they were out of crawlers.

White bass on cigarette butts. Many years ago I was fishing with fatheads at the Ford Dam and the whiteys were going nuts. I soon ran out of bait but found some cig butts scattered on the bank. They'll hit anything in a frenzy like that.

Another odd catch was a 20 lb muskie on a dip worm & stinkbait fishing for cats. That was a surprise.

when I was little, a friend and I really got into the sunnies, we quickly ran out of worms, so we pulled the eye balls out of the pumpkin seeds, and they worked great. Stayed on the hook for 4 or 5 fish at a time too!!

My dad use to catch mice in the BWCA, put a rubber band around the middle, then put the hook under the rubber band and toss em out behind the canoe... they didn't last very long, drowning quickly, but they seldom made it that long before a big smallie would finish em off.

We were up in Canada and ran into some Canadians whose gave us a chunk of beef heart to cut up and tip our jigs with. It worked great but for some reason I have never tried it again.

I know a guy who used to cut spam into cubes for channel cats. Good for numbers but not size.

As youngsters, we would get a half of slice of bacon, then when we caught the sunnies, we did the same thing, pulled out the eyes and caught a stringer full. This was in the late 50's.

bare bronze hooks. We were out of bait, but the sunfish wouldn't stop biting. Maybe they smelled the worms or something.

I " caught " a dead northern pike on a piece of pickled herring on the St. Louis River years ago . No kidding . I was with my nephew and we ran out of bait so I put a chunk of the Pickled Herring on a hook and threw it in the river and it must have drifted into the dead Northerns mouth . Strange but true . smile.gif

A few years ago we were carp fishing in Lake George in St. Cloud. Weren't catching anything on crawlers so I threw on a chunck of teriyaki beef from friends chinese food. Had a big one within about a minute but he broke the line.

artificial make shifts...

piece of wood...literally...pocket knife and shape it. You could do a very bad job of shaping it, but heck...aggressive fish still swallow it... grin.gif

plastic candy wrappers - those flashy ones, tie it on... crazy.gif

That little handle from a broken zipper - the ones that look a lot like a kastmaster/little cleo/dare devils...

plastic/rubber molded insects...the ones you roll out of that 25 cents machine.

Green army men!...I wanted to see if he could swim...Can I say something attacked him...should've tied a hook onto him.

As a kid, I caught my first crappie over a pound on a half of a hotdog.

My grandpa used to catch bullheads using white pieces of cloth dunked in caster oil.

I caught a 4-pound northern on a Homer Simpson lure. Yes, one was made and it looked like Homer. Mmmmm, Homer....

My wife put a green grape on a hook and brought up a small northern. We still laugh about it.

Not really a wierd bait but today i managed to catch about a dozen crappies in an area the size of a car, bass fishing with a scumfrog. Anybody else ever catch a crappie on a frog?