Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WxGuy

Southeast Minnesota Flooding

15 posts in this topic

Needless to say for those of you who have seen the events of the last couple days, the flooding around here has been historic, and devastating to many. Residents of Rushford are still out of their homes, Houston was evacuated along with Elba and Stockton and other small communities. While it's of course an afterthought with the affects on many people's lives, trout streams have taken a seemingly irrepairable beating.

Rush Creek looks like it was hit by a bomb, and by the force of the water, it pretty much was. A 37-year old man is still missing in Winona county after being caught in the waters of Rush Creek. 17" of rain fell around Lewiston, Utica, and Witoka, and all that water raged straight down Rush Creek and flooded Rushford.

Here are just some of the pictures I've received in the office over the last couple days.

Prayers go out to all who have been affected by this disaster.

I will be adding more pictures to this photo album as they continue to come into the office.

http://qninewmedia.typepad.com/photos/storm_damage/

chrisparker_stockton.jpg

chrisparker_stockton6.jpg

philhaney_mncity3.jpg

heathermerchlewitz_mncity.jpg

donanderson_stcharles_train.jpg

my parents in utica had 7+ feet of water in there basement, i'm from stockton and most of my neighbors have lost there homes. my place is still in tact but have suffered lots of damages to property.

WoW! Thanks for sharing WX, I knew it was bad but those pictures really drive it home. My prayers are with the folks in that section of the state.

Amazing the damage done! Wishing all effected the best!!!!

Pictures don't do some of this damage justice. I witnessed some of it first hand today near and in Elba. All I can saw is WOW. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I am sure I will see more as I have to work in the Rushford and Houston area yet this week.

my wife and i were on line looking at all the pics today. there were too many familiar places in those photos. my first brown trout came from gavin brook in minnesota city. i got a 29 inch walleye jsut down the road from that classic car place outside of winona. i hope all of you and your families are safe. my brother-in-law lost his car dealership in hokah. things are gonna be tough this year for them. if anyone races quads or dirtbikes, you may know the plantzes. i hope every thing dries up quick for all of you.

Unbelievable...My daughter-in-law's family had 12 inches in their basement in Lewiston. She was going to visit on Sunday, but her Dad to them not to come down. And more rain is in the forecast for that area.

I thought the creek looked like it would be better for fishing below farmers park. There are some new pools. It's crystal clear right now. Of course these pools are only there because trees and other debris are damming the stream. Obviously not the most important thing.

edited by Admin - [no links please]

frown.gif

Sad tale about my favorite state park in all of MN.

Looks like Dan's pic made it into the fold: LINK

Very disappointed to hear about all this. I saw it on the national news and otherwise probably would not have known. I lived in Mankato for awhile and did some trout fishing around the Southeast. Hard to believe any fish will even be left in some of those streams after this.

Of course my thoughts are also with the area residents and the losses they have suffered. That is a beautiful and charming part of the state, but unfortunately floodwaters have no conscience.

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the post. Many peoples lives have been put on hold and they're just trying to figure out how to rebuild.

As far as the fishes? They'll make it through...potentially better in places after an event like this, although that's hard to buy. Nature can undo what we manage to really screw up...

Has anybody seen the canoe access at Rushford since the flood? I want to fish the spillway, or at least check it out.

I was just there last night. The spillway has a little yellow sign warning to stay out of the river, e-coli.